Sump and Sponge filters

A

Anonymous

So, this weekend we had a 9 hour power outage in my hood. Luckily, I was home when it happened and I broke siphon on my sump intake and return line to avoid overflowing the sump and losing water. This got me thinking about a way to avoid this. What I did was install a different return on my sump. Instead of a submerged spray bar, I got a single outlet return nozzle and mounted it just above the water line so if I do lose power, the return line will not reverse flow, it will break siphon by pulling in air. That was one problem solved. I then adjusted my overflow box skimmer to break siphon before the sump overflows. I tested it yesterday and all was good.

Now for the sponge filter part. My AC110 HOB will start right back up without issue even if I am not there. My Sump, however, will not. It will run until it pumps out the water in the sump and then be useless. So, I decided to get some sponge filters as a redundant filtration system. This way, if everything cuts out and comes back on, I will still have sufficient filtration for my precious F1 Mpimbwe Frontosa (Jukiaaaa's). I picked up two of the MEGA SPONGE FILTAAARS from Aquarist world. These bad boys are about 9" in diameter and about 9" tall. I have a big Whisper air pump and a gang valve (with stop check valves) to complete the system. I will hook them up when I get home today and take some pictures. The cool thing is, these are all black (unlike the ATI with their white bases) and I have black air line tubing, so it will all kind of mesh with my tank background.

You can never have enough filtration, but with a sump, if you aren't there to restart the siphon, you have no filtration. So, I think this i s a good addition to my set up.

shua

or you can have an over flow box inside the tank its the little box that looks like a castle this keeps the water level at the perfect point in side of the box so that it never breaks siphon

A

Anonymous

shua said:
or you can have an over flow box inside the tank its the little box that looks like a castle this keeps the water level at the perfect point in side of the box so that it never breaks siphon
I have that. However, when the power goes out and it drains that box it will break siphon. If it never breaks siphon it will empty the tank if the water is not being returned to the tank from the sump (power out - no pump).

A

Anonymous

THis is the exact bow I have..

8cee_1.JPG

Ashley

That's wierd, ours doesn't. When the power comes back on it just starts flowing again. The syphon never breaks

A

Anonymous

Ashley said:
That's wierd, ours doesn't. When the power comes back on it just starts flowing again. The syphon never breaks
Think about it though, the water has to go somewhere from the over flow, right? It goes into the sump and will continue to fill the sump until it overflows if there is no pump to return the water flowing into the sump back into the tank. The only way it will stop flowing into the sump is if it breaks siphon.

Ashley

Yeah but as the water level in the tank goes down to the bottom of the teeth to the overflow box it will stop flowing into the sump. and as soon as the power comes back on, the pump turns on again, the water level rises again, and then water starts filling the overflow box and starts working again. the sump will never overflow... you must me doing something different than we are

A

Anonymous

Ashley said:
Yeah but as the water level in the tank goes down to the bottom of the teeth to the overflow box it will stop flowing into the sump. and as soon as the power comes back on, the pump turns on again, the water level rises again, and then water starts filling the overflow box and starts working again. the sump will never overflow... you must me doing something different than we are
Right, but the siphon tube in that box will pull water until it gets air, with no more water entering the box that will happen eventually. The only way that would work is if the power came back on before that box was emptied. Since the water is drawn from the tank via siphon and fed via gravity (not pulled by a pump) there is no way it can retain siphon under these conditions. The sump will overflow if the tank surface area is big enough to overcome the volume if the sump. For example, a 180 has more surface area than a 55. The boxes "teeth" (even if set as shallow as possible) can overcome the volumetric limitations of a 25 gallon sump given enough time and surface area, before breaking siphon.

A

Anonymous

Ashley said:
Ok, here is the problem with this..what restarts the siphon if you aren't there?

larry.beck

When the pump comes back on and starts filling the tank the overflow box will fill and start flowing from the tank to the sump again.

It sounds like the issue is that your pump isn't starting back up when the power comes back on?

A

Anonymous

larry.beck said:
When the pump comes back on and starts filling the tank the overflow box will fill and start flowing from the tank to the sump again.

It sounds like the issue is that your pump isn't starting back up when the power comes back on?
It is starting back up..but the water has to get from the black box with teeth to the clear acrylic over flow box. It does this via 2 u shaped tubes that you have going from the black box to the acrylic box. If siphon breaks on those tubes, what restarts siphon? If you are not there to restart siphon no water flows from black box to clear box. Pump turns on and empties sump, no water re-enters without siphon.

sandnuka

cause there is water in the sump that gets kicked back in the tank from the pump....The syphon starts again when the water starts gettin too full in the tank and goes over the cuts in the overflow box....

Basically... gravity starts the syphon again :) .... I just think there is some kind of communication error.

shua

Spyral said:
shua said:
I have that. However, when the power goes out and it drains that box it will break siphon. If it never breaks siphon it will empty the tank if the water is not being returned to the tank from the sump (power out - no pump).

water cant siphon when at the same levels in two different vessels it will only level out thats why there is the middle section thats so the water will stay @ that level inside the black box

sandnuka

Spyral said:

8cee_1.JPG

Ok, after lookin at this picture spy, I see what you talkin about..... Im not sure how this thing would set up.... my overflow box is completly different..... and I dont have a sponge on the out put either??? I dont know how your thing works..... My overflow box is built in the tank.... there is no syphon and not two different compartments....

This thing looks all complicated... lol....

Ashley

sandnuka said:
Spyral said:

8cee_1.JPG

Ok, after lookin at this picture spy, I see what you talkin about..... Im not sure how this thing would set up.... my overflow box is completly different..... and I dont have a sponge on the out put either??? I dont know how your thing works..... My overflow box is built in the tank.... there is no syphon and not two different compartments....

This thing looks all complicated... lol....
This is the same one we have....trust me it is the same as any other

Ashley

Okay well that is not the question you were asking. You were asking about how to get the syphon started IN CASE OF A POWER OUTAGE (and the answer is...You shouldn't have to because if you know what you're doing, the syphon will never break!) .....Not "How to start a syphon" LOL and it is pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about. Stop thinking you are hot stuff and get a grip on what people are trying to tell you. We are trying to offer information and you don't want to take it. Can you not accept that you could possibly be doing something wrong? and you call other people childish....

shua

there is no way that you should be breaking siphon when the power goes out thats the nice thing about sumps if you need a vid posted later tonight i would be happy to do so.

and im not the one thats dumb enough to buy something and have nnnnooooo effin idea as to how to use it... and dont feel bad for me i like my helmet

shua

apologys every one as well as you spy. ill post a vid if some one else dosnt befor i get home 8) and sorry again