Summer Tubbin Thread

MRTom

Question to the tubbers: Would it work if I left a plastic tub outside with a sealing lid? I want to keep the critters out (we get hungry racoons and cats here.) I am planning on using an air pump and drilling some airline holes to make sure there is oxygen exchange, but not so much that the big critters can crawl inside.

My other thought is to use a hard mesh material (maybe a terrarium lid?) to keep em hungries out.

MRTom

If the chicken wire was taut enough, that might work. We once used chicken wire to cover up a bed of tulips... the squirrels and racoons jumped on it enough that after a few days the knots in the wire itself gave way it came undone.  :wall: :swear: YMMV of course... but I don't trust the racoons around my house.

A

Anonymous

fishyladdy said:
what i was thinking was like a mesh lid like a terrarium lid. right now im using chicken wire.. we will see
Chicken wire and a wood frame should keep those pesky critters out. May have to fasten the lid on. Elastic cords maybe?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Shot another video. Thanks for the Fish Donna! Even got a wafishbox.com shout out in there :)

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2kIu22wEGE" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
And the follow up video.
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/tDWKBGcIh60" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

cichlid-gal

As there seem to be a lot of question about how to cover ponds...John and I just got back from vacation.  One of our stops was to a beautiful pond and garden wholesaler (they have a retail shop for folks like us) called Hughes Water Gardens outside of Portland, Oregon.  They had some great outdoor ponds...here's a pic of how they are covering their koi ponds

Just another idea...but you would need a lip of some type for this setup or maybe something else could be rigged up.

My grandfather has an amazing koi pond that he built by hand in the 80's. he lives in southern cali, so things like herons, eagles, owls, and pelicans are a real threat. he built a similar cover using PVC that raised the netting about 6 or 7 feet up. seems to have done the trick so far, considering he has some koi in there that are older than me, and almost as big.

I've always figured that any type of "net" would just get chewed up by the other critters that are there. If one is hungry enough, they would go through great lengths just to nab a fish or two (or even the whole stock).

I figure that a wire mesh would work better... granted, it's unsightly, but I s'pose it can be taken off when there's people over.

I still think an electric fence would work wonders. It also keeps those pesky kids away from mah fish! BWAAHAHA... kidding. (or am I?)

cichlid-gal

That netting in those pictures is a plastic mesh...I'm not sure what it's original purpose is or where you would get it. But it seemed pretty durable.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
it's called plastic hardware cloth. I use it on my ponds as well. Build them the same way.

CMooreCichlids

KaraWolf

Alright. It's been forever and I want my quarantine tank back!! What do you guys think. Is it warm enough to kick them all outside yet?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I think most people have been putting fish outside this week. It's been pretty darn warm!

LuminousAphid

I just put my 20 gallon outside a couple days ago with guppies and no heater. The second part makes me nervous, but so far the temp hasn't dropped below 60 by the morning so I think they should be ok. Does everyone else heat their outdoor ponds/tanks? I don't really want to buy another heater and then buy electricity to run it, so guppies should be OK as long as it doesn't get down below 50 for long periods, right?

As far as covering, I am using the polycarbonate top I had made at TAP Plastics in Lynnwood so that nothing bothers my fishes. The pvc/mesh idea looks great though, and it shouldn't cost more then 30 dollars for a decent sized pond like the ones donna posted.

cichlid-gal

Lovin my summer pond so far. Sit by it every day ... just watching fish and plants. We had a fun time when the honeysuckle was in "high" bloom as every morning and afternoon we had to clean the spent petals from the pond. So far no critter problems here but our yard is fenced.

KaraWolf

Mine are decent. Don't really see them....but I saw a dragonfly yesterday so I'm ansey to finish the screen covers.

cichlid-gal

I don't recall ever seeing a pond without dragonflys. Is there a reason they worry you? I love seeing them and so do the kids

KaraWolf

Don't the larva eat small fish?
Either way, it keeps the misquetos out.
...and kinda rethinking :( tried to check on them and instead between the two I found 5 dead fish and don't see any babies. There are at least 1 male and female in each left at least. Kinda want to bring them in and split a 40 or something :/ don't want to lose them.