subwassertang

A

Anonymous

The word for today is Subwassertang Seems I have acquired some of this stuff as a hitch hiker & has currently stuck itself to the grill of one of my power heads & growing which looks pretty darn cool. Anyway I can camouflage a power head is a good deal if you ask me :)ha!

Anyway, anyone else growing this stuff? Experiences of best ways of growing the stuff appreciated, and of course pictures would be great.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I find the less light the better with that plant. It might be because it has less to compete with with less light, but it'll seriously grow without any light lol.

CrazedAce

I got some of this from Tanya at the swap meet. So I am new to it as well. She attaches it to wood in her tank and it looks amazing!

jettej

I got it when i bought my black moscows and bn plecos over a year ago. It was a deal! It was big and all together. Until after a while they start loosing their strength due to lack of care. Then one day i realized i'll try to wash them and replace them to a well established tank. So now i got some pieces of it and its starting to form as a carpet on my 10 gallon on my breeder tank. Pictures next time.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
subwassertang, looked it up and its real :lmfao:  Pretty cool looking plant.

A

Anonymous

Admin said:
I find the less light the better with that plant. It might be because it has less to compete with with less light, but it'll seriously grow without any light lol.
Wonder how it will grow under highlight? What do you mean "less to compete"? The piece I have is currently stuck to a power head which is about 3-4 inches under a light. Do u suggest I should move it to shade?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you have a fast growing stem plant such as cabomba. It will use nutrients really quickly. Where subwassertang seems to always grow slow. So if stems plants are using up all the available nutrients something slow will struggle to push forward.

pbmax

I have a ton of the stuff in my mystery snail tank. Once you reach critical mass you'll have more than you know what to do with. :) Granted, it took me years to get to the point where I had a whole 10g covered with the stuff.

A

Anonymous

Aquarium Co-Op said:
Well if you have a fast growing stem plant such as cabomba. It will use nutrients really quickly. Where subwassertang seems to always grow slow. So if stems plants are using up all the available nutrients something slow will struggle to push forward.
Understood! Then I think I will just keep it where it is for now & watch how it does. It is in a place I will see it everyday during feeding.

pbmax said:
I have a ton of the stuff in my mystery snail tank.  Once you reach critical mass you'll have more than you know what to do with. :) Granted, it took me years to get to the point where I had a whole 10g covered with the stuff.
Sounds like a rather slow grower then. That's good, there is no room in this particular tank for fast growing plants.

I've always wondered why subwassertang looks like sea weed. The first little sample I ever got of it was from pbmax, and it looked really cool. It looked more like a sheet of seaweed, rather than smaller intricate strands/flat leaf-like looking things that is usually sold in stores.

I do like the "sheet" look more though, pbmax, what is your secret to getting them growing like flatter sheets, instead of a whole massive clump of intricate foliage? (If that makes any sense...)

pbmax

I'LL TAKE MY SUBWASSERTANG SECRET TO MY GRAVE!!!! :nanana: 

I dunno... it just grows that way? :scratch:  I don't affix it to anything, it just grows free. It's a pain after water changes... floats to the surface so I have to poke it to free the bubbles before it'll sink again.

That one tiny portion of subwassertang I got from pbmax, several months (actually, I think it's been a year now?) back, is ... well, it hasn't grown much. LOL.

BallardFishGuy

I first had some on some petite Anbuias as a hitchhiker and freaked out (thinking it was algae) and kept pulling it off when I saw it and tossing it...:roll: ! Then i realized what it was and put a very small piece in my high tech planted tank and it's about the size of a small apple and it's very healthy. It is a very slow grower. It's one of my favorites besides my Fissidens fontanus, that plant is even better and similar in growing pattern.

A

Anonymous

BallardFishGuy said:
I first had some on some petite Anbuias as a hitchhiker and freaked out (thinking it was algae) and kept pulling it off when I saw it and tossing it...:roll: ! Then i realized what it was and put a very small piece in my high tech planted tank and it's about the size of a small apple and it's very healthy.  It is  a very slow grower.  It's one of my favorites besides my Fissidens fontanus, that plant is even better and similar in growing pattern.
Picked up some Fissidens fontanu early this summer. It's about the same size as when I got it, lol!

jettej

Heres a pic of my Ugly Grown subwassertang. It uses to be a solid bush until I meesed it up with poor water quality Now i'm trying to put it back to life!

Anthony J.

I got some of this stuff as a hitch hiker on some java fern needle. Seems every month I pull a a few inch long chunks out and throw it away. I thought it was a pest. It reminds me of a macro algae you would use in a refugium. Looked up some pics, pretty cool stuff, may have to ket it grow a bit and see what I can do with it. Thanks for the thread.

A

Anonymous

My opinion may change with time but for now I am thinking if I could get it to grow around my power head & the bracket it would make for a great camouflage. I like how its a different shade of green as well. Contrasts neatly against all the other shades of green in my planted tank.

pbmax

I have some growing on one of my heaters (plastic rena smartheater). I likes to attach itself to my sponge filters as well. I should attach a bunch to a lava rock like my java fern and see how long it takes to grab on.