Substrate, SAND!

gobluecichlids

I use 100lb bags of silicia sand from Homedepot myself...no need to wash, just pour into the tank and fill em up with water. 100lbs is enough for my 135 gallon tank (6ft x 18" footprint)

so cheap, I have seen people selling this for as much as a dollar a pound on craigslist.

I avoid playsand as these type may take time for the dust to settle.

sandnuka

Just to let everyone know..... 40lbs was more than enough for my 80gal tall!!!!! waaaaaaaaay more than enough! I didnt even use all the second bag! just wanted to let you guys know

SEAF

African Cichlids love to dig; even more so with sand. I wouldn't go less than the one pound per gallon. There is a reasonably easy way to clean it though. I clean about 20 pounds at a time in a 20 gallon high aquarium. I just set the aquarium in my driveway and powerspray the sand with my garden hose and nozzle. Spray till there is 3 or 4 gallons of water in the tank, moving vigorously across the sand with the solid stream of water. Then tip the tank on end slowly and drain the water. I repeat this 6 or 7 times and then transfer the sand to the tank being set up. (In a 10 or 20 gallon tank setup, I get my sand cleaned all at once this way) Of course, you will see this trail of fine sand particles flowing down my driveway... but this is the Northwest... the rain will eventually wash it away! :D

Billiethekid

filter?

I have a gravel bottom in my Cichlid/Guorami tank and after reading all this, i am thinking on changing over to sand.... but.... I have a undergravel filter and was wondering do i have to change over to a external filter or is it possible to keep the filter in there with a finer mesh/screen to keep the sand out.. and if so suggestions por favor :?: :?:

Gosu

sand wouldnt let much water flow through, i dont know if its impossible but changing filters might be a better idea none the less

sidekicking

I have a gravel bottom in my Cichlid/Guorami tank and after reading all this, i am thinking on changing over to sand.... but.... I have a undergravel filter and was wondering do i have to change over to a external filter or is it possible to keep the filter in there with a finer mesh/screen to keep the sand out.. and if so suggestions por favor

I've had sand with and under gravel filter before and it works just fine....just make sure to vacuum the sand often....I never had any problems and its also good to have an HOB filter just for extra filtration

Racersk

You would be better off reversing the flow from the bottom to top (pushing the water from the tank-prefiltered-into the UGF plates and forcing water up into the tank) with a power head if you insist on a under 'substrate' filter and sand. As the silica from the unavoidable ingestion of sand is BAD for anything that rotates...

Besides this is a better UGF setup than the normal way because it will help avoid dead spots in the filter area.

The bad part is finding a power head that does well at reverse flow...My old UGF powerhead is about to become a foam filtered circulation pump...

Will I am

Alright, anyone that shops at Sierra Renton, a place for pets, or midway pets... I found where they get their sand from. Renton mineral company. I got 200lbs of pool filter sand for 40$. If you go with the .8 grain, its bigger and doesn't get sucked up by your filters. A lot easier to rinse than silica and play sand because of the big grain. They also had about 20 different sands with all different grain sizes. This is also a sweet place to buy rocks if you're looking. They have mountains of all different types of rock. I think they said river rock was about 20$ for a ton! Lol not that you'd need that much.
Cleaning the sand isn't to bad. I bought a vinyl hose, I fill it up with tap water, cove one end with your finger, put the en thats not covered into a bucket, put the end you're covering into the tanks water, release your finger and she'll start sucking.
I do it once a week before my weekly WC's.
I don't like gravel because everything gets to the bottom of the tank an is a pain tosyphon.
Anyways, hope this helps

Betty

Staff member
Good information, Will. Did the pool filter sand come in different colors? The pfs that I use now is a tan color.

Will I am

I believe they had a natural and white color. They might of even had more. They broke out a small tackle box and each hole had a different sand. Some were different colors and sizes.

Doza

Will I am said:
Alright, anyone that shops at Sierra Renton, a place for pets, or midway pets... I found where they get their sand from. Renton mineral company. I got 200lbs of pool filter sand for 40$. If you go with the .8 grain, its bigger and doesn't get sucked up by your filters. A lot easier to rinse than silica and play sand because of the big grain. They also had about 20 different sands with all different grain sizes. This is also a sweet place to buy rocks if you're looking. They have mountains of all different types of rock. I think they said river rock was about 20$ for a ton! Lol not that you'd need that much.
Cleaning the sand isn't to bad. I bought a vinyl hose, I fill it up with tap water, cove one end with your finger, put the en thats not covered into a bucket, put the end you're covering into the tanks water, release your finger and she'll start sucking.
I do it once a week before my weekly WC's.
I don't like gravel because everything gets to the bottom of the tank an is a pain tosyphon.
Anyways, hope this helps
What was the name of this company???

Will I am

Pretty cool place. They have so many different rocks, just mountains of them. Super cheap!

I use only driftwood so rock not good for me

Will I am

If you do go sand, I would really recommend the .8 grain size. I don't know how many threads I've read in other forums about peoples filters getting jacked because of sand. This .8 grain sand is perfect, comes in white as well.

If you live close, go check them out. Tell them you want to see their pool filter sand.

Doza

aww i was hoping they had a website hopefully i can swing by and check it out when im up there. all landscaping places ive been to that carried rock and gravel didnt carry very many things that could be used in aquariums... I mean you could they just didnt look great or were to big and such..

sandnuka

I use rock from the river or beach.... just boil it when I get home, and throw it in the tank... its free! and honestly, you can find some really nice pieces out there.

sand is in two of my tanks, Never have a problem with the filter getting "jacked"..... Never..... I dont even have a problem vacuuming it, and it is that fine silicon stuff from home depot.