Store Ideas!

Stingro

If you could add anything to your LFS what would it be?

I would love to see a clipboard or some sort of board we can walk to and list down our name and contact info. For the store to contact us if a certain fish we are looking for becomes available.

I know many LFS offer taking orders but I always prefer to make an online order for myself than go through a LFS to do it for me. Plus it is always nice to see the health of the fish first before committing to buy.

What are your ideas?

Bob

I know many LFS offer taking orders but I always prefer to make an online order for myself than go through a LFS to do it for me. Plus it is always nice to see the health of the fish first before committing to buy.

What are your ideas?

This is exactly why i would rather order through a store versus order online myself. Let the store take the risk on DOAs and unhealthy fish. Plus i dont have to pay for shipping.

Betty

Staff member
I used to wish that fish stores would have books available that I could look up species and get a little info on their requirements and compatibility, so I wouldn't come home with a fish that couldn't get along with what I had or would outgrow the tank, etc. (I never trusted what the employees told me.) Now with our phones, it's easy to get that information.

Stingro

This is exactly why i would rather order through a store versus order online myself. Let the store take the risk on DOAs and unhealthy fish. Plus i dont have to pay for shipping.
Most stores don't quarantine the fish you order. They just place them right into an empty tank they have running already, which usually have other fish in already. And then they have you pick it right up and you're obligated to pay no matter what condition they are.

Bob

Most stores don't quarantine the fish you order. They just place them right into an empty tank they have running already, which usually have other fish in already. And then they have you pick it right up and you're obligated to pay no matter what condition they are.

Sounds like you're buying from the wrong stores. Aquarium Co-op quarantines and would never make you pay for a sick fish that came in special order. A member here special ordered fish that died in quarantine and Cory didn't make him pay for them. I special ordered cyprichromis from aqua pets, they don't have a guarantee from the wholeseller, 8 of 12 came in dead, I didn't have to pay for them. Good stores are out there.

Loren

Agreed. I special ordered 4 female endlers from Aquarium Co-op (not a big purchase) and still he kept them in quarantine for 2 weeks. LFS's are just like car dealers. You need to do your homework to find the good ones but they are out there.