Stocking ideas?

Laura

Ok guys... I bought a bigger tank. My yoyos are only about 2.5 inches but they are growing .... I wanted a 75 but got a 55 for now.

So the story of my yoyos- i wanted 3. They were only sold in group of 6 from Wetspot... So i have 6. I figured some wouldnt make the shipment- but they did. I figured maybe they all wouldnt be healthy- but they are. I love them. So keep that in mind.

Found a "deal" on craigslist- listed as an 80 gallon tank. My parents were kind enough to drive 2 hours to get it for me. The dimensions upon final inspection? Yup a freakin 55. So here i am.

Im prob going to be maxed already- which is fine. But if not- what would you put with yoyos?

My current situation: heavily planted, ceramic caves, bare-bottom... Canister filter full of only ceramic rings- with 2 sponges on the intake. Tank temp 78-79. Ph runs at 7.8.

My current stock: 6 yoyos, 3 glowlight tetras, 3 neons. - yes i did have 7 of each but they slowly died 1 by 1. Last glowlight had a crooked spine when i put him down- so im nervous to add anymore. But maybe in the new tank?

What im thinking if im not overstocked:
either 5 more neons?(i love neons more than glowlights)- but note that my current neons are HUGE

A bristle nose ???- id really like an algae eater as any snails are irradicated in minutes- which is one reason i looove yoyos... When snail population in my other tanks get out of control, i harvest for a live meal for those guys.

Also note- my yoyos are ACTIVE. When i read about them before i purchased- it said nocturnal, hide in caves, "peaceful" bahaha- nope. Super agressive at mealtime- will eat from surface no prob- will fight for food- active all day... (Wondering if i should add air stone?)... Yoyos noted a weakness in a glowlight before i did- and munched on him... I have not seen anything that these guys WONT eat. Sooo...

Let me know if i should have a species only tank? Ideas welcome!

Loren

Our forum administrator (and owns a local LFS) would probably recommend you to set up a species only tank. Several of the reasons that he stated are that the fish will both look better and be happier.

In regards to tetras I have had the same problem as you. Both in regards to black tetras and neon tetras. I get around a dozen and then watch them die off slowly one by one. I'm now hooked on rummy nose because they seem to be bullet proof.

PS. How is the weather in Minnesota.

Last edited:

Laura

@Loren Its lovely here- spent the morning on the lake :)

Thank you for your reply! A species only tank wouldnt be bad! I love these guys!

Laura

I feel like a fish storm rant has come... So i was thinkin of doing a species only for my loaches...

Thought i was getting a bigger tank- but got a 55. Look. Here is what i bought:
image.jpg

Yup. I shouldve checked the tank out in person. Yup, i shouldve asked for dimensions- not taken their word for it....

Now - im being told yoyos do not grow 5-6 inches but can get to 10? Each!? See below! That its mean to put them in a 55... Stunts their growth... Which hurts my brain because oscars grow and grow and grow- right? They will 'outgrow' a tank..

image.jpeg

Im confused and frustrated. I feel like the only way to know the truth is to just try it- then people just shake their heads at me for not doing the 'right thing'... Why cant this hobby just have black and white parameters? Yes. It will work. Or : no you are being dumb and douche-baggy? *sighs*

Sorry ... I just want to be a good fish mom but this stuff is difficult. And people suck. Ok. Moving on with life now. Ty for listening. Or not.

Bob

Botia Almorhae do not get bigger than 6 inches. I have never been a fan of Aqadvisor, this is a prime example why i am not. I remember when i first started fish keeping a few years ago it was really overwhelming. For every article that said one thing you could find another article that said the exact opposite. The best advise i can give is just have patience, stable water parameters are more important that having the "correct" parameters, and like you said, just try it and have fun, dont worry about the negative nellys. Worst case scenario is that your experiment doesnt work and you get to start another experiment.

Laura

Botia Almorhae do not get bigger than 6 inches. I have never been a fan of Aqadvisor, this is a prime example why i am not. I remember when i first started fish keeping a few years ago it was really overwhelming. For every article that said one thing you could find another article that said the exact opposite. The best advise i can give is just have patience, stable water parameters are more important that having the "correct" parameters, and like you said, just try it and have fun, dont worry about the negative nellys. Worst case scenario is that your experiment doesnt work and you get to start another experiment.

@Bob Thank you- i appreciate the kind words... And that someone else understands my situation- frustrated (even if it were years ago) like i am... I also appreciate the advice!!

Hopefully i will get better at this stuff some time.

Loren

In my old age I lack a lot of patience so am pushing the envelope all the time. I don't ever cycle a tank the amount of time recommended and probably grossly overstock. Like Bob says having stable water parameters is the key. Also, plenty of filtration and oxygen can't hurt. For example all my shrimp/shrimp, shrimp/pleco, shrimp/pygmy cory tanks have both a HOB and sponge filter. I look at this hobby kind of like what is said about food. Today it is bad, tomorrow it is good. In the end you just got to use common sense and figure out what works best for you.

Laura

In my old age I lack a lot of patience so am pushing the envelope all the time. I don't ever cycle a tank the amount of time recommended and probably grossly overstock. Like Bob says having stable water parameters is the key. Also, plenty of filtration and oxygen can't hurt. For example all my shrimp/shrimp, shrimp/pleco, shrimp/pygmy cory tanks have both a HOB and sponge filter. I look at this hobby kind of like what is said about food. Today it is bad, tomorrow it is good. In the end you just got to use common sense and figure out what works best for you.

I love fish- and learning about fish- and the science piece of keeping these lil friends - i just wish there was RIGHT or WRONG lol. My life and learning curve would be so much better- and quicker!! ;)

Loren youve been so kind- just a thank you for making this learning biz easier!

Madness

Staff member
Hi Laura, I understand exactly what you are going through. This hobby is very addicting. My first comment would be that, "do not hesitate to ask for help here or PM any of the admin. We have many years of experience between us." As for that loach website, I agree with Bob, here is a link to where I go for ALL of my loach questions. This is your yo-yo page http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-almorhae and this is the main loach list http://www.loaches.com/species-index/species-index

I myself have what I call a GRRRR tank, I got the idea from the above website, currently they are in a 6' 135 gal, but will be transferred to an 8' 240 gal. Right now I have 25 in there. They are the Yasuhikotakia Modesta, and Morleti and Syncrossus Berbmorei, Beauforti, Helodes, Hymenophysa and Reversa. These 2 genus are considered the most aggressive of all the Botia species.

Laura

Hi Laura, I understand exactly what you are going through. This hobby is very addicting. My first comment would be that, "do not hesitate to ask for help here or PM any of the admin. We have many years of experience between us." As for that loach website, I agree with Bob, here is a link to where I go for ALL of my loach questions. This is your yo-yo page http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-almorhae and this is the main loach list http://www.loaches.com/species-index/species-index

I myself have what I call a GRRRR tank, I got the idea from the above website, currently they are in a 6' 135 gal, but will be transferred to an 8' 240 gal. Right now I have 25 in there. They are the Yasuhikotakia Modesta, and Morleti and Syncrossus Berbmorei, Beauforti, Helodes, Hymenophysa and Reversa. These 2 genus are considered the most aggressive of all the Botia species.

@Madness ty!!! I loved those websites! Ive been feeding my yoyos a varied diet- including freeze dried blood worms once a week... Good to know that bloodworms may not be the best idea! thank you so much! Plus you have loaches... Big, mean loaches lol! Im pretty sure those guys- and that large of a tank is over my head for now :) someday maybe! Ok an 8' tank is a MUST for me someday. ;)