Starting a new tank stand project....

keman

Final stand will be 10' by 2' and will support a 55g and a 20g long, with a 55 and 20L under it and two 4' LEDs mounted to the underside for the lower tanks.

Picked up lumber, LEDs, and supplies today. The build will be this weekend. Look for pics here soon...

This is for Katie's room to support the feeder/breeder tanks and equipment. When complete, her room will have 2 55s, 2 20L, 1 20 standard, and her 100G monster fish tank.

keman

Got a little done today, framed out the top, built the legs and cut the top inserts. Got everything painted and am basically ready to assemble it in Katie's room... That will have to be tomorrow tho'.

Image-1-32.jpg

Not sure if it really shows, The outside of the top frame is painted in Yellow rubberized paint, the top insert in the background is black rubberized paint...

Image-1-33.jpg

keman

Here's the top with a 20 gallon on it for size reference... (top inserts not screwed down)
Image-1-34.jpg

keman

Latest update,

Got it mostly built and in the room. Still have a little bracing to do, but the top is anchored to the wall studs with 4" screws and it's stable enough to stand on with no wiggle or give. Solid as a rock...

Image-1-35.jpg

There are two 4' LED bars under the top, and I drilled a series of 1" holes along the back for cords and air lines, etc...

keman

Got two of the 20L tanks on top, 55 below, LEDs working...

Image-1-37.jpg

Image-1-36.jpg

In the next few days, the other 55 will be placed underneath, not sure at the moment what else will be on top. That's up to Katie. At least she has some floor space back from moving the 20L tanks.

hose91

I have a question on the 55s. They look pretty low to the ground. What sort of scheme will you use for water changes? Seems like a siphon might not be optimal? Unless you have a downhill run to another drain location. Just curious. I have a 75 to go in a piece of furniture that will end up being low as well, struggling with good options for weekly wc given I have no way to do an auto water changer.

keman

hose91 said:
I have a question on the 55s. They look pretty low to the ground. What sort of scheme will you use for water changes? Seems like a siphon might not be optimal? Unless you have a downhill run to another drain location. Just curious. I have a 75 to go in a piece of furniture that will end up being low as well, struggling with good options for weekly wc given I have no way to do an auto water changer.

We use an inline pond pump for changes on all the tanks, so siphon is not an issue. Takes less than two minutes to pull 60 gallons out of my 125g.

Pre filter on the intake hose to the pump, drop it into the tank at the level you want to drain to and turn it on. When it starts sucking air it shuts it's self off.

Even a smaller pump would work. It's well worth the investment. no hose dipping, no sucking fish water, don't even get your hands wet.

hose91

I'd considered an inline pump before, but hadn't yet made the investment. A couple more questions, if that's ok.

1. No priming at all, just drop the intake line in and turn it on? It pulls the water up and over the tank edge? I see some pumps with a priming port, and I was unsure exactly how that worked.

2. I'd love to see a pic or two of this next time you pull water out of one of your larger tanks.

3. Can you point me towards the brand and/or features on your pump to get me started on some purchasing research?'

Thanks a ton!

keman

Not sure of the brand (I got it used, no label) Mine is a magnetic brushless drive, and can suck or blow depending on what end I attach the pump head to. I do fill the hoses with water from the garden hose to prime before I start pumping. (Guess I over simplified there)

hose91

Ok, I feel better now, I thought maybe I was missing something. Appreciate the time to explain, no need for pics (unless you want to).