Starting a 20L

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
That’s a HUGE gap
So this is the issue with all three brands Ive tired out. Aqueon, Topfin, Perfecto all are about 3/8" short. I cant be the only one to notice this... Maybe the only one who is a complainer? lol

FishBeast

So this is the issue with all three brands Ive tired out. Aqueon, Topfin, Perfecto all are about 3/8" short. I cant be the only one to notice this... Maybe the only one who is a complainer? lol
Looking at my lids, they seem to be short as well... I've resorted to covering the gaps in the back with saran wrap

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at my lids, they seem to be short as well... I've resorted to covering the gaps in the back with saran wrap
My three tanks (300g x1, 65B x2) are custom built and the tops are thick and fit tight.

This is my first plastic frame, mass market tank that Ive in a long time. I remember in the past the Perfecto were different sized but now its all owned by Central Pets so probably just all cut same sized for all the brands they sell.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I went to Bonny Lake and picked up a glass lid for the 20L and then cut the top to fit filter and heater cord. Had to run a new cord to the tank that had extra outlets for the new tank. I had some old battery backup from my last job that I’m going to use for the filters. I still need to rinse gravel, fill the tank and set the heater. Kind of tired so I’m not sure if I will finish tonight but at least I worked on it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Realized the tank looked pretty dark so I added one more pod to the center ans it looks right now. The color tone is different from the top tank but not really an issue at this point. The water in the tank came from the puffer tank above and I added some bacteria in a bottle but I do need to get a couple small fish in there to kick start the filter. I will probably get same small expendable fish that can later be "friends" with the puffers. ;)

The Catalina heater held temp all night and seems to be working well.

Betty

Staff member
That gravel looks good in the tank.

I really don't understand the glass tops not fitting the tank, especially the same brand. Makes no sense. It's a problem if you have fish that are jumpers!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That gravel looks good in the tank.

I really don't understand the glass tops not fitting the tank, especially the same brand. Makes no sense. It's a problem if you have fish that are jumpers!

Thanks Betty. The gravel is very grey and does not look so much like cereal when wet. It was a little dirty and needed 2 good rinses with a strainer but over all the tank stayed pretty clear. I ended up using about 3/4 of the 22lb bag and have another whole bag left.

I ended up getting glass tops from the Bonny Lake Tropical Fish World. These fit the width okay but the length was about 1/8" short so some care is needed not to accidentally drop the top into the tank. This brand was something like Aquarium Master.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Currently empty... empty of fish that is but running, it was a grow out but then I realized I needed something bigger so I set up a 75 gallon. I will use this as very temporary housing as I move my puffers around. I am moving my arrowhead puffer to a rack in the garage and the hairy puffer also in the near future.