Started down the Tropheus hole

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Awesome! Keep them well-fed by adding finely crumbled spirulina flakes to the tank at every feeding- preferably twice per day- and they will grow quickly. Within a couple of weeks, whilst they are still quite small, they will be out and about amongst the adults, and then you are home free. That tank needs at least twice as many Bemba as you have currently, so this in an important first step. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Awesome! Keep them well-fed by adding finely crumbled spirulina flakes to the tank at every feeding- preferably twice per day- and they will grow quickly. Within a couple of weeks, whilst they are still quite small, they will be out and about amongst the adults, and then you are home free. That tank needs at least twice as many Bemba as you have currently, so this in an important first step. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
The one I have seen is 1/2in maybe. Hopefully, there are more in hiding but it is a start :cool:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
They're quite secretive for the first week or two, so there are probably more. 1/2" is about right for size-on-release.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
He's shy because he's the only little one out there.

I set up my Tropheus annectens in a 100g tank by themselves some time ago, with the aim to expand the colony, as I have never seen this species available commercially. They started producing fry about 6 months ago, and there are now at least 4-5 clutches in that tank, so probably 20+ progeny. This week two brooding females released their fry on successive days, and the tiny little ones are already out and about amongst all the larger fishes at feeding time. So the point is- it gets easier as the colony expands. That said, the fact that you have only one survivor from this brood suggests that you need more hiding places for the little ones, and ways for them to get around in the rock piles without traversing open water, like this-

Tropheus sp. 'black' Ikola-

IMG_5883.jpg

Tropheus annectens parents; love the blue eyes-

Annectens (IMGP5431R1) copy.jpg

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Doesn't appear to be. I just fed them and I don't see the guarded feeding typical of a holding female.
Was it an actual spawning that you witnessed; that is, was she holding earlier? It's not uncommon for them to just go through the motions sometimes, especially if it was a younger female.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Was it an actual spawning that you witnessed; that is, was she holding earlier? It's not uncommon for them to just go through the motions sometimes, especially if it was a younger female.
I'm not sure which female was holding for the previous spawn. It's possible she was a first time spawner and not catching the eggs. I noticed she picked up aragonite several times.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I am not being successful with the tropheus. I have divided the tank to try to crowed them but I found this one yesterday. It is now on the opposite side of the divider so that it can heal.
I'm not in a position to increase numbers so I need to figure out what to do.
The dominant male tries to get the injured male through the separator. I've considered moving the dominant one to the isolation side but m worried that would creat even more havoc within the colony.IMG_20240218_113322842~2.jpgIMG_20240218_113348273~2.jpg
Added a second divider to isolate the dominant male.IMG_20240218_115459074~2.jpg

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
That injured fish will not survive with that much tissue loss.

How many are left?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
You have too few Tropheus in too much space. If there is no option to increase the size of the colony to ~12+ (in a smaller tank), the only thing you can do is move the present colony into smaller quarters. Tank dividers don't work for that purpose. You could try to house them with something else, but I can't think of any fishes that would fulfill that purpose except more Tropheus, and present I don't have more Bemba, or any other Tropheus population that could be kept with them without risking either more carnage or hybridization. Nor do I have a place here that wouldn't run the same risks. So it's a quandary. Sorry.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
@sir_keith, I have the 60g cube (24³) or a 29g I could move the colony into. The 29g would be easiest as it's already uninhabited. I just need to remove plants. The cube would require moving some corys and the arowana and plants which would not be a little more involved.
I have the 55g too but I think they would have to much room with that foot print.