South American Bumblebee Catfish (Microglanis iheringi)

A

Anonymous

Mine makes path ways through star grass. So when it's hungry enough as I am feeding the bunch it'll poke it's head out, grab some worms then scoot back into the grass and pop out in another place. Then like you sometimes I am searching all over wondering if it's dead, lol!

fishNAbowl said:
Totally dig this cat. Nocturnal and shy in my 140. But totally serves an important function. This cat never leaves the tanks floor so I think your tetras should be fine unless they hover just above the substrate.  Mine hugs the plant line during feeding time. He loops around the plants lookin for scraps. I play "where's Waldo" with this elusive fish.

Don't forget to share pictures Poke.  :)
Looks familiar!  :lol!: 

I could have sworn he was dead at least once a month. The only indication that I would see him would be a quick spray of sand every so often as he would make his burrows. Pretty cool little guys though, and they do look great.

A

Anonymous

^  :lol: for the life of me I can not remember what you and your wife named him.

fishNAbowl said:
^  :lol: for the life of me I can not remember what you and your wife named him.
Old Man Jenkins, cause he was a grumpy old dude who just sat around and chased off anyone who poked around his burrows  :lol

So, after about 2 months since I introduced these guys into my 55 gallon tank, I find one of them, and they've GROWN! This guy is like 3 inches now, I surely hope it doesn't get any bigger hahaha!! :) He's quite the fatty!  :heart:

fishNAbowl was right, it's like playing "Where's Waldo" everytime I'm looking in my tank. I usually only find 2 at a time, but I KNOW for a fact that there are more than just the two. Hahaha!!

A

Anonymous

Lol. I don't know if my two SA bumblebee cats are still alive. Can't find the buggers. Well there goes $10 for both.

Yeah, I almost gave up on mine... They go crazy for frozen bloodworms, but almost pretty much ignore live black worms, which... I find odd. I mean, you'd think that they would prefer the live stuff over the frozen lol.

A

Anonymous

I'll try it then. Frozen blood worms tomorrow.  If still MIA presume dead. :(

Don't give up hope just yet. They're really good hiders, lol... one of these days, you'll find them when you least expect it. Hahaha... I find that they are also nocturnal, so having dimmed lights really helps too!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
PokeSephiroth said:
Don't give up hope just yet. They're really good hiders, lol... one of these days, you'll find them when you least expect it. Hahaha... I find that they are also nocturnal, so having dimmed lights really helps too!
 :plus1: 

A

Anonymous

Well saw the biggest one of the 2 but the runt is MIA for now till I find bugger.

fishNAbowl: I bet it's that time again... time to play Where's Waldo... or should we say "Where's South American Bumblebee Catfish?" Hahahah

I swear, that should be a book.