Solo cichlid wet pet not so happy

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
There was a calm in the tank this morning, lots of scrapes on the regani and isletas but no more outright brawls. They all ate like nothing happened.

I think that when the time comes to add the heterospilus, I will add all four at once so that no single fish gets the brunt of it and then when they are all adjusted I will remove the three I do not plan on keeping. The het's are growing fast but I think they need at least another three months to hang with the fish in the 210g.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The Isletas came back with a vengeance and schooled the regani. Totally can not get along. He will chase the poor thing into a corner and make it stay in one spot. Not sure which one to move out, but one will have to come out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So to all the cichlid psychiatrist out there... What do you think?

The Regani is not being beat on any more but is very submissive and will get chased if it ventures in the 'wrong area' of the tank. I have not seen it eat anything in the past two days, so I know it is stressed. The Isletas is much more interactive but a bully for sure. Even when the Pearsei nips at him to keep him in check, the Isletas is very defiant. The Isletas was slated to be a solo wet pet in the 72g bowfront but is a totally different fish when no other cichlids are present. He gets very shy and does not have that outgoing personality like when in the big tank.

Will the bully lessen his dominance on the Regani and the fish will start to eat and settle back in or does the Isletas need to come out?

Any thoughts?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I feel sorry for the Regani having went through the treatment process and then having to deal with the aggression.

When it comes time to add the heterospilus, I am thinking to add all four to spread aggression and then after everything is calm 9few weeks time) remove the three that I was not planning on keeping... good idea? Or just add the one I plan on keeping and let him figure it out?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Cool, not just yet but soon they will be ready to go in.

Madness

Staff member
Hey D, one way to curve aggression is objects blocking line of site. Give the Regani a place to call its own. Like a large piece of wood, or a plant wall, something to give it more of a safe feeling.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Madness said:
Hey D, one way to curve aggression is objects blocking line of site.  Give the Regani a place to call its own.  Like a large piece of wood, or a plant wall, something to give it more of a safe feeling.  
Yeah I need more stuff in the tank. I have been working on a large piece of mopani trying to remove the tannins. I might just have to put it in there sooner.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I finally had enough of the stress and bullying from the Isletas and moved him into the bowfront with the growouts. The poor regani looks haggard and the stress has made him poop all stringy and his color is really off. Stupid cichlids and all their bickering!

The Isletas is totally lame as a wet pet in the bowfront. He hides a lot in there and just has been a community bully so long he just does not know how to act. At least he does not bully the small growouts.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The red isletas could always take a break with my umbee pair.... A short break, but still a break....  Just kidding of course!   I have a few fish I am going to be getting rid of soon that would pair nicely with the red isletas..... I have a couple of female flowerhorns ( the one that faded would be a nice tank mate for him as she can hold her own and will top out at about 6-8" I think.).  

I have a few other fish that also came from my classroom that he may like to live with too.  Free to you if you want to bring out his personality.

I also have a 4" red isletas (extra one that I think is female)

Let me know, maybe one of these will bring out his extrovert side in the 72g

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and I also have a 6-7" Gorillus blue ( not black) umbee. I think he would be a worthy tank mate too, but would worry that they would spar quite a bit

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The Isletas is just strange by himself and too aggressive with tankmates. I might just have to get rid of him. He had an awesome hump going and now its all little again. I think he needs to be in an aggressive  community tank and he would do just fine. The Regani is a great fish in the 210g but almost seems like its emotionally damaged from the trauma of being with the little bully. So not sure what to do with any of these little monsters.  :wall: 

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The regani will come out of it.... I'm sure! Maybe you could pick up those regani from madness too and let him get a little confidence

Madness

Staff member
Better decide fast on that idea, the Regani I have are going to APFP in the morning

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I saw your post madness that they were 5-6". Just too tired to get over there. Actually worked my buttocks off today.