So I got a CHUBBY pleco...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So I got a CHUBBY pleco... lol, no its not fat it is the type of pleco.

These are L056 Parancistrus aurantiacus sometimes called "Rubber Pleco"

These came from Wet Spot
IMG_20220929_102618393.jpg
Always happy when they do separate bags for each individual fish as opposed to in the same bag. Also each is double bagged and it had a heat pack in the box that was still very warm.
IMG_20220929_102725044.jpg
Floating in the tank to acclimate
IMG_20220929_102802519.jpg
Cute little things
IMG_20220929_104404858.jpg
Skinny...
IMG_20220929_104703246.jpgIMG_20220929_104735273.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Are they similar to the rubber lipped plecos sold at petsmart?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Are they similar to the rubber lipped plecos sold at petsmart?
Not exactly, don’t know why they are called ‘rubber’ pleco. They dont stay little like the other ones. I like the common name ‘chubby’ pleco, pretty much nails it with how they look.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had not posted it in this thread but will to keep things consistent.

The color change ability is what is sought in keeping this pleco. This is like winning the lotto. Dont know how or what triggers this
5314A66F-3667-4836-B6A8-B01A640F076F.jpeg
Otherwise you pretty much just get this, which does not bother me. I like the short stout look about them
FC1B9C0E-E9CF-4FB2-8746-850AD456A833.jpeg
They are are not tiny by any means when full grown. This is a 9” one from MFK. You can see it showing some yellow. There is an unconfirmed 12” one pictured on MFK but no real proof as the size next to ruler or out of tank.
Screenshot 2022-09-27 112302.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well its been a week with these little guys and I have seen them a couple times so I believe they are still alive. I drop in algae wafers at night and they are gone by morning but it might just be the hoplo cats getting them. Ive been letting algae try and grow to make sure they have something to scavenge. Maybe I should be trying something different like zucchini? That all the update Ive got on them, elusive little guys.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Additional pics to share from MFK postings of this type of pleco

This one was interesting because it was a rare albino. Hardly ever seen with this type
E7CC36ED-A733-4F65-84DF-8B0D91B00ECB.png

This was from the post with the one that was supposed to be 12”
43C9CB5D-7E92-449F-B615-339DEEB5D4CD.jpeg4D6E588C-B5FB-4C65-9CC5-FAD045B6255E.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lol, no not my pleco type, mine stays smaller and its a Parancistrus aurantiacus.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So one pleco lives in one of the pleco caves that I got from Aquarium Co-Op. I think this is the one that lived in the Mopani cave. The other had been behind the heater and I haven’t seen him in a while. Thinking about doing a good tank cleaning just to see if its still alive, lol. While these pleco have some potential to be really cool big fish, they are very elusive.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the pleco that lives behind the heater yesterday but not the other one... Maybe I only have one pleco now? lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
In the process of pulling out all the gravel out of the 65B, got to see the one chubby that live in the Mopani cave. Cant say its really grown much but belly at least was not sunken. Not really sure what it eats but I do break up algae wafers for them and drop them in the tank at night. Feel like I might need to move these guys in with the severums in the 90 since all the other fish will be going into different tanks anyway.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
In the process of pulling out all the gravel out of the 65B, got to see the one chubby that live in the Mopani cave. Cant say its really grown much but belly at least was not sunken. Not really sure what it eats but I do break up algae wafers for them and drop them in the tank at night. Feel like I might need to move these guys in with the severums in the 90 since all the other fish will be going into different tanks anyway.
Do you feed them every night?

I feed my plecos every once in a while which is actually probably why my big broad lead plants always get destroyed. Haha

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yep I throw in a little bit of food each night. Usually snap an algae wafer in half and throw it in. This is too big for the pearsei and then two pieces for the two pleco.