Sicce Whale Canister Filter

I did an unboxing and semi-review of this filter. It's the Sicce Whale 350 Canister Filter.

Design and Build (Quality): 9/10
Really nice finish, has a nice elegant look to it. Parts are made out of high quality plastic, you won't have to worry about pieces becoming brittle over the years, and the build of the actual unit itself is really great! Only reason why I only gave it 9 out of 10, was the box it was packaged in, was really flimsy, it almost felt like the canister filter was going to fall right through the box, if you weren't holding the box from underneath. Heh!

Performance: 8/10
We have the 350 running in our 93 Gallon Cube, and it's REALLY silent! Priming the canister filter is a little tricky, although NOT impossible. There are some canister filters out there, that make priming so difficult and frustrating... this one, takes on a different approach, by placing the primer on the intake portion of the hose, instead of on top of the canister filter's motor.

Price: 7/10
While not the cheapest canister filter out there, you definitely still get a pretty good "bang for your buck". Definitely not as expensive as other brands, so it's not like you're paying an arm and a leg for a canister filter. The filter also comes with its own filter media, so you save a couple bucks without having to buy separate filter media. I find that including the filter media with the actual filter is starting to become a trend these days, so hopefully that will also put more competition out in the market, which should also drive prices in general, lower.

Conclusion:
I'm very pleased with this filter. Very easy to set up, and once you have it running, it's smooth sailing from here on out. I didn't have any problems with leaks or anything like that, so hopefully it stays that way in the many months/years to come *knock on wood* hahaha!!

Here's a video of me unboxing the Sicce Whale 350 Canister Filter, for all you curious folk out there! :)
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/VzWldZhYOA4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Denizaari said:
Does it have electronic monitoring like some other canisters at this price point?
What other filters besides the fluval G series have electronic monitoring? I don't know of another canister that has that feature at a price point of $155?

Denizaari

Didn't know the price point was $155. I was told by other prospects for product line it would be in the $300 range.

Denizaari

Oh an afterthought, I meant by "electronic monitoring" the technology similar to the eheim pro series. Where you can press a button and it gives you approximate life between service. Not so much temp and flow. Sorry for the miscommunication.

What's the flow through the filter like? One thing I love about my Eheim classic is the simple flow...and on the other hand, one thing I hate about my Cascade 1000's is all of the bypass through the filter.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
You can check it out at the shop we have one running. I'd say it's a gentle flow like an eheim. It's made in Italy also like Eheims. It also has an attachment on the outflow that is more like a lily pipe so it mixing the protein film off the top of the water back into the water to be filtered.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
bronzefighter said:
One thing I love about my Eheim classic is the simple flow...and on the other hand, one thing I hate about my Cascade 1000's is all of the bypass through the filter.
I currently use the Eheim 2217 and love the simplicity of its design. It keeps the flow going even when it is dirty. I too was a Cascade owner at one time. I found if you made a strip of bonded filter material and stuffed it around the bottom and top baskets it helped plug those areas that had a lot of by-pass; the filter worked pretty well. I will say these new filters poke reviewed are very tempting.

DMD123 said:
I will say these new filters poke reviewed are very tempting.
tumblr_mw3gg9WArl1sgl0ajo1_500.gif