Should I play some Peter Setera to get them in the mood

Madness

Staff member
Should I play some Peter Setera to get them in the mood

OK. Any ideas? I think I have tried everything.

I have a pair of Amph. Hoga's, Red Devils, Dempsey's, Fire Mouths. They all at times display breeding tendencies. They all have displayed their breeding tubes. But none have done the nasty. :laughhard:

I have added some cold water to the tank to simulate rain fall and a slight drop in temp. I have tried water changes. I have tried raising the ph. I even have stuck a breeding pair of Convicts with all off them. Cause we all know that Convicts will breed anywhere. :punk: Thinking that the Convicts will put out some fishy hormones into the water and get the others in the mood.

NOT. :x

So, now I ask you all. Any ideas?????????????? :scratch:

rattle1972

Re: Should I play some Peter Setera to get them in the mood

i have the same issue with my festae at the moment. i have tried all the stuff you ahve tried.. i just put another female in last night, definetly colored up alot, so wait to see what happens... i am thinking constant temp changes during day in hot days we are having have somthing to do with it alos...maybe in october...lol

sandnuka

feedin a bunch of protein, raising water temp, then do a cold water change after the temp is up.... That always worked for me.... although that doesnt work on my discus?!

My rams breed when I dont go down and watch them for a couple days... think they do it out of boredom! lol

Madness

Staff member

My rams breed when I dont go down and watch them for a couple days... think they do it out of boredom! lol[/quote

:laughhard:

So your saying no Setara?

Well, my son called me tonight and said that it looks like my Hogaboomarum's are about to start. They have been cleaning all day, and their goodies are out/down and ready. :beer:

Hopefully by the time I get back home on Sunday afternoon, I will have BABIES.....

Madness

Staff member

BABIES...BABIES... Well, I've got eggs. Finally my Hoga's have spawned. :cheers:
It is about freaking time. Now lets hope that they are good parents, and don't eat them. They laid them in a pvc pipe that I cant get to very well. So, lets all cross our fingers.

What got them going was that I added peat to the water which dropped the ph to about 6.6, a week later removed the peat and did a water change, which increased the ph slightly and increased the water temp to 84. :punk:

Presto. I have eggs. Well they have eggs. :beer:

sidekicking

That's awesome dude congrats
All your hard work finally pay off lol

alexmuw

I got my festae to spawn on accident. I didn't do a water change for a couple weeks, then did a 50% change.

She spawned with my male trimac (unsuccessfully though).

Madness

Staff member

Oh ya, my Hogas. Nope the eggs didn't last. I figured as much, it never really goes right the first time. I have relocated them into a larger home and put in a few friends with them. A couple smaller Red Devils, Flowerhorn, and a pair of Cons. It was only a couple days later they started to move gravel and show signs. The male has been in his aggressive stage the last 3 days. So, maybe I will get some more here soon.

My 2 long fin Dempseys are showing signs now also. And I do have some eggs from one of my HRP. I removed the eggs this time.

So, we will see what happens.