short and fat?

fishyladdy

short and fat?

Talking bout cichlids over here what were u thinking!!! Lol
So I have some cichlids fry maingano to be exact ( sorry if I spelt that wrong)
So i see that a couple of them are short and fat.. while others are long and thinner...
Will they grow out of that? Of are they gonna come out funky?
:/ any help would be lovely thanks guys :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Re: short and fat?

Maybe you have some new short bodied fish to sell.

Betty

Staff member

They should all be pretty much the same looking in shape.  Did they come from a trusted source?  I saw the photos you posted of them and noticed that one did not look healthy.  

This is just my opinion, but I think you should be a bit more selective and careful of where you are getting your fish from because you've been sold or given fish before that were not what you were told they were.

cichlid-gal

Fishyladdy...here is an article on "stunted" growth in fry.  I think it covers most of what you might be looking for.  As for whether to keep them...I would cull them.  Stunting is usually caused by something lacking in the care of the fry during their grow up phase.  

Stunted fish article by Pam Chin

I have had a few fry "stunt" in my spawns.  I do not know what I did wrong or what caused it.  I cared for all the fry the same way, fed them the same, changed the water the same, etc. etc.  but for some reason out of couple of my dozen or so spawns, I had a couple fry stunt.  Maybe I didn't do something right in the care of them...I know I was trying to do everything I had read about.

OH and from my readings, I don't think stunting is a genetic thing...it is a environmental thing.

I am glad some of your fry sound like they are doing well.  Keep up the water changes and good food, don't overcrowd them and give them room to grow.  Good luck.

fishyladdy

Hm :( I do water changes everyday and feed them 3 or 4 times a day. I also give them fresh veggies. I got them from a very very reliable source this time so I'm not worries about that at all. Ill give them a little bit longer and cull them if they dnt change... I stripped them from one of the female Igot that was holding. So idk guys.

cichlid-gal

Well...you didn't say how old the babies are? And if it is your first spawn from the parents I would simply watch the babies you think are stunted and cull if necessary. As you acquired the fish while they were holding it is hard to say what has transpired or might be a problem or could be a contributing factor but if your next spawn of these fish or other fish have lots of stunted babies then its time to look at your parent stock and/or the practices of care. Your practices sound good other than I have not feed veggies to my babies. I have read that BBS is the best food out there for the fry babies.

cichlid-gal

Here's a video of my old group and some babies that were just growing up in the main tank with the parents....just for reference

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/FYttP5N11sY" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

fishyladdy

they are about a week and a half from being stripped and when i stripped them they only had a little bit of egg left one them

hyp3rcrav3

I have noticed that every brood of any species has runts. It is just the way of it. Congenital defect or little food source in the egg sacks are likely culprits. Usually their siblings outgrow them and pick them off or they die of their defects. Occaisionally one survives and there is just a miniature fish in the tank.

All my Ps. demasoni runts (I bought them very young) have been demolished by their siblings and / or other fish. In fact, I probably need a few more demasonis to prevent future mayhem with the adults.