Shell dwellers

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Not much going on with the Shellie tank... Really just seems like a little 'community' tank of sorts. The fish are not showing any real breeding behavior from what Ive read about. Ive kept down on cleanings and just have done water replacement for a while but really no difference in their behaviors. Im kind of getting to the point where I might just add something to the mix. Maybe some more rockwork and julies?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Decided to put the shellies and their stuff up for sale. I just dont like dealing with the tank on the bottom with the combination of sand substrate, special water needs and the low gallon (30) which I just cant seem to keep the algae in check. Even with the fixture at its lowest setting and maybe only on 8hrs a day, its a chore to maintain. I would even consider going with a 24" or 18" fixture on this instead of the 36".

If I switch to a bit bigger gravel, go 100% fresh water I might be able to keep up with it better. But the finer/lighter sand was part of the reason I got rid of the previous tenant the arrowhead puffer. The tank is just tough to maintain in that lower location in the rack.