Sexing bristlenoses

ziggyzoo

Can anyone text me at 2067301637 or pm me with your number so I can text you a pic of my bristlenose( I can't post photos on here with my phone). I can't tell if it's male or female. Maybe you can :) thanks

ziggyzoo

That's the strangest looking bristlenose iv ever seen! Why's it's nose so chunky lol it's silly! I would guess male though by the size of the bristles

Evad

Yes I would say this guy (gal?) is different from every other Bristlenose Pleco I have ever owned. Its over 5" long and I have had it forever. Not sure what the lifespan is of this species but I feel like this one is getting old....

Betty

Staff member
I'd have to agree -- very strange looking, but my guess would be a male. The body markings look very different too. Has it always looked like this?

ziggyzoo

Betty said:
I'd have to agree -- very strange looking, but my guess would be a male. The body markings look very different too. Has it always looked like this?

Ya I have never seen a body like it either! I was wondering the same thing, if it's always been that way?

Madness

Staff member
Evad said:
Since we are on the topic, this is my Bristlenose - can you tell the sex from this photo?

This looks like the L034 Ancistrus ranunculus or Medusa pleco, not a bristlenose.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I was wondering about a medusa as well or a cross breed between a bulldog/rubber lip and a bristlenose? Body reminds me of a bulldog. But the lump in the center of the nose is so odd! That doesn't match anything I've seen.

ziggyzoo

Madness said:
Evad said:
Since we are on the topic, this is my Bristlenose - can you tell the sex from this photo?

This looks like the L034 Ancistrus ranunculus or Medusa pleco, not a bristlenose.
I was sorta wondering that cause don't bristle noses usually have forks in the bristles? Just a guess though

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Not always, dominant males will have forks. I have a sub-dominant male who has bristles but not long or forked.

ziggyzoo

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Not always, dominant males will have forks. I have a sub-dominant male who has bristles but not long or forked.

Oh really? Haha there's soooooooo much more to plecos then I ever would have imagined! This is fun, I want to know more more more! :)

Betty

Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I was wondering about a medusa as well or a cross breed between a bulldog/rubber lip and a bristlenose? Body reminds me of a bulldog. But the lump in the center of the nose is so odd! That doesn't match anything I've seen.
Looks like there might be some elephant seal in there. :D Very odd, but cool as well. I keep coming back to take another look at that schnoz.

Betty

Staff member
Ziggyzoo, here are a few of my males. The bristles and forks vary. I have some young ones starting to get forks and other larger older ones barely with any, but with long bristles.

070-Copy_zps679a2484.jpg

This is one of the bigger ones.
073_zps1a72f806.jpg

A little guy, but long bristles around the front.
942_zpsc57a7e64.jpg

Plenty of bristles, but not much in the way of forks here.
023_zps1ec37f3c.jpg

004_zps6b4faea1.jpg

This is an older picture of the male I've had the longest. He's my favorite.
c7ce5d46.jpg

I really like plecos too. I'm jealous of madness's collection! I wish I had a big enough tank to keep a few other types. I have two leopard frog plecos and tons of bristlenose.