Severum morphing?

DCcrest

Has anyone seen a gold severum start develop dark blotchy spots? It looks and reminds me of what blood parrots do when they “morph”.

Attachments

• 8F6ED52D-6D0C-471B-8259-D9038E866624.jpeg
    8F6ED52D-6D0C-471B-8259-D9038E866624.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 3DED6939-2844-463F-95AD-66CD215635BE.jpeg
    3DED6939-2844-463F-95AD-66CD215635BE.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I’ve never seen one do it, but I imagine they have the capability in their genetic makeup

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The gold variety is a man made one so I wonder if it is a 'peeling' (morph?) process they can go through like you see happen a lot in amphilophus like red devils and midas...

Ive kept gold sevs in the past but got them a bit bigger and they were already pretty colorful gold/yellow already so never got to see the younger stages.

DCcrest

Yeah the pic doesn’t make my point very well. The “peeling” effect is way more evident in person. I just hoping its a morph and not a sign of a disease.

Side note: its crazy, but because of its size I kept it in a quarantine tank for months (where it stayed its white-ish/yellow color) before I placed it in the community tank where I have 2 larger red spotted severums. About 2 weeks later…this happens.

DCcrest

The gold variety is a man made one so I wonder if it is a 'peeling' (morph?) process they can go through like you see happen a lot in amphilophus like red devils and midas...

Ive kept gold sevs in the past but got them a bit bigger and they were already pretty colorful gold/yellow already so never got to see the younger stages.
Yeah, didn’t know that “style” of severum was man-made. I guess that makes sense, my King kong parrot fish has been randomly “peeling” since about 2-3”.