Send me your Pics - SEPT POTM

Betty

Staff member
I'll be taking entries until the end of the 16th, so start sending them in. :spoton:

Send your submissions to wafishgeek@gmail.com
Subject: POTM SEPTEMBER

In the email, please include:
1. Your username
2. The species in the photo

The picture must not be smaller than 600x600.

The full rules are here...POTM **IMPORTANT** PLEASE READ. These are the main points, but please check the link for more details and send your pics to me at the address above.

• The picture must have been taken by you.

• The picture must be of your own fish/aquatic creature. (One fish/creature as the focal point. No tank shots or multiple fish shots.)

• You may only enter one photo per month.

• Your picture will be judged by the forum members using any criteria they wish.

• Voting and photo submission are confidential.
  (Do not submit a photo that has already been posted on the forum or used as your avatar.)

• There will be no soliciting other sites to promote your picture and to increase your votes.

• The winner will not be able to participate in the following POTM contest.

Betty

Staff member
I've had ZERO photos so far. :(

Madness is the only member not eligible to enter the contest this month. We haven't failed to have a contest since the POTM started back up in February. Let's try to keep this going so we can have an end of the year poll with the winners from each month. Thanks! ;)

JimmyZ

The place is obviously dying from what it once was a few years ago, in the words of Metallica? Sad but true. Many other forums are failing as well. Another site I visit, anybody post a question they get 200+ views with 2 responses if they are lucky. End of an inning I guess.

B

big01612

I agree with you Jimmyz. It was a lot active a few months ago. That guy "fishinabowl" was very active now he's gone too. I'm just here to see great deals but even than some are not much.

Betty

Staff member
Yeah, it is sad. I hope it's just the usual summer slump and things will pick up. It's nice to have an active local forum.

Madness

Staff member
This happens every year. One suggestion is, how about either of you start a topic? Try and get some activity going on your thread.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I can view the statistics and this is normal. Even the GSAS had a light turn out on Tuesday etc. We still have great weather and a lot of people are focused on getting their kids back to school.

JimmyZ

Madness said:
This happens every year. One suggestion is, how about either of you start a topic? Try and get some activity going on your thread.

Would love to, but with 30 if that posters here and me keeping Tropheus its not the high-light around here :roll: Now if I had a single Oscar in a 300 gallon tank with clay pots or sucker fish in a 40 planted I might get some reaction. Not a lot of attraction here for me, but I stick around and check it daily.

L190

Jimmyz you should send in some trophies pics for the potm . I think trophies are cool and was thinking of setting a tank up but the wife said no more tanks.

Ali

I would submit if I could get even a single photo that fit the guidelines. One with clear glass, no chunks of fish poop floating around, and a single critter centered in the frame. My photography skills are minimal, and fish are not easy buggers to photograph!

I enjoy the entries every month, so please folks send them in.

Madness

Staff member
JimmyZ said:
Madness said:

Would love to, but with 30 if that posters here and me keeping Tropheus its not the high-light around here :roll: Now if I had a single Oscar in a 300 gallon tank with clay pots or sucker fish in a 40 planted I might get some reaction. Not a lot of attraction here for me, but I stick around and check it daily.

Really? Cmon your sideways jab at whomever regarding your comments are unnecessary. Tropheus are cool but not my cup of tea but I recognize quality and great conversation regardless.

Betty

Staff member
It's all for fun, so don't feel that you can't enter because your critter isn't popular. I know people have their own criteria, but I would vote for the photo, not the species.

Ali, if you wipe off the glass and do a little cropping to eliminate fish poop, you'd have an entry. We don't want any photoshopping, but I don't see a problem with cropping to get your fish/critter as the focal point.

Madness

Staff member
Betty said:
It's all for fun, so don't feel that you can't enter because your critter isn't popular. I know people have their own criteria, but I would vote for the photo, not the species.

Ali, if you wipe off the glass and do a little cropping to eliminate fish poop, you'd have an entry. We don't want any photoshopping, but I don't see a problem with cropping to get your fish/critter as the focal point.

Exactly, cleaning up the picture in that way is just fine. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
JimmyZ said:
Madness said:

Sorry not that many oscar lovers here or many with 300 gallon tanks. In fact a few of us big cichlid keepers feel like we are not a popular category. Try keeping bichir... Even a lower turn out. I guess i should apologize for not being as active the past couple months but selling a house, moving, building a new house has kept me extremely busy. Not busy enough to not at least post remodel pics, though i do owe you guys some! Despite all this i still managed to send in a pic last month of my snook. I guess I'm saying get involved in this community. This is your site too and you can contribute to what happens here. When I started here it was even slower, guess what? I decided to do something about it.... Does my post count say anything? Yep, actively involved

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to enter this month.... Hope others are too. I love seeing the pics even if they aren't fish that I personally keep.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
pbmax said:
Maybe it's a good time to submit one of my not-so-fantastic photos... ;)

Do it! If it's a great pic, subject matter takes a back seat in my opinion

dwarfpike

Same complaints happen on every fish forum I'm on, every summer. Always happens. Things pick up as other activies slow down. Just got back from the Great Canadian Beer Festival in Victoria myself.