Seen any good plecos around.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Well with the recent outbreak of what I am calling "the plague" going around and killing fish off. I ended up losing my three year old L001 pleco. This was a smaller type of sailfin that I really enjoyed having in the tank. Very outgoing, going to miss him. :(

So while I am seeing whats left after this disaster I am looking at new pleco possibilities. I am growing out some bristlenose i my 29g but they are pretty small. So has anyone seen any interesting plecos at any of the stores out there? If so what was it and where was it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
One of the posters on here had a L014 for sale. It looks pretty cool. :)
That would be Zerc, who is also have issues in his tank right now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I love the look of the royals. Would eat up my wood in no time flat from what I hear. :pig:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Zerc would love your pleco. But will wait until my water isssues are worked out before I begin to add fish. Did you check your water parameters yet?

I posted this now because expensive plecos seem to sit in stores for a longer amount of time, so by the time my water issues are ironed out I will be ready to buy one.

gobluecichlids

DMD123 said:
I love the look of the royals. Would eat up my wood in no time flat from what I hear. :pig:
I had as many as a dozen of these chewing on my bog wood, didn't notice the wood look any smaller since I got em back in April. I have 3 left. I still think the royals are the top dozen must have..they used to be one of my best seller back in 2008 before closing up the fishroom.

By the way, that is my ad on craigslist...

By the way, I may be at the GSAS christmas party next month...I think wed dec 14th..

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a monkey wrench I will throw in, would love for the pleco to be active, not just a lump.

My L001 was very active and could hold its own against the cichlids. I have heard the gibbicep is also active (L083) and I really do like the sailfins.

Any recommendations for an active pleco? (dont want a common)

Zerc

Well, he likes hiding under my giant pile of driftwood anyway. He only comes out when its dark. I imagine if he didn't have anything to hide under he would be more active.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have a pretty large amount of wood in the tank so there are places to hide. I would even consider an albino gibbi because he would stick out like a sore thumb on my dark background, gravel and wood.

Zerc

oh my "hiding under the driftwood" was in reference to the sunshine pleco not the royal. the royal is all over the place.

(i would suggest some longfin green dragons or longfin albino) if you get bristlenose. The downside being they dont get very big...

have you considered a fire eel?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I know.

Just dont like to mix and match. I am just weird that way.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Zerc said:
oh my "hiding under the driftwood" was in reference to the sunshine pleco not the royal. the royal is all over the place.

(i would suggest some longfin green dragons or longfin albino) if you get bristlenose. The downside being they dont get very big...
I have 3 regular albinos and 3 (calico ?) bristlenose growing out in my 29g so I could just move them over when things clear up.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
At least I think they are a calico. They came from Betty and are very nice healthy little guys. The have an interesting color mix that makes me think calico. What ever they are, they are very nice little plecos with one getting some bristles on him.