Sea-Monkeys! Brine Shrimp! Air?

So, with all my little axolotl larvae hatching... I've started hatching baby brine shrimp, and have come up with a couple questions, that you guys and gals might be able to answer.

I recall reading and being told, that it is absolutely necessary to aerate the water, during the hatching process, and also helps keep them alive... and if you were to cut off the bubbles, then any newly hatched brine shrimp would end up dying in several minutes or so.

With that in mind, I remember as a kid, having Sea-Monkeys, and I remember that hatching the eggs didn't involve having the water being aerated, and they hatched and survived just as easily, without the use of some kind of bubbler.

Why is that? Am I missing something here? Is it because Sea-Monkeys are some sort of hybridized/hulked up version of your regular brine shrimp that can withstand stagnant water/lack of aeration? If that's the case, then why haven't scientists taken advantage of this, and start selling those in the market, for people who hatch brine shrimp to feed to their fry?

Basically, what I'm trying to ask is:
Why was I able to hatch Sea-Monkeys without using an air stone, and how come regular brine shrimp (non-Sea-Monkeys), require the use of an air stone in order to hatch and survive?

I'm well aware that there are these Brine Shrimp Hatching Dishes, that don't require any form of aeration, so maybe there's something to it that I'm just missing here...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
http://animals.pawnation.com/seamonkey-1481.html
"Brine shrimp are crustaceans in the genus Artemia. Von Braunhut hybridized different species of Artemia to develop the artificial breed Artemia NYOS, or New York Ocean Science. Artemia NYOS, called Sea-Monkeys, grows larger and lives longer than regular brine shrimp."

Interesting, I always thought they were regular old brine shrimp. Ive always wanted to try and get a hold of the freshwater fairy shrimp.

I did read the wiki article, which brought me to the conclusion that Sea-Monkeys were basically, brine shrimp on steroids, but I wanted to hear from other people lol... and like I said... if they ARE infact, stronger versions of ordinary brine shrimp, then why haven't "Sea-Monkeys" become the normal thing for hatching out brine shrimp??

My only guess is that it would cost more (even more so, than Grade A Brine Shrimp Eggs, or something like that) . . . and since hobbyists usually only feed baby brine shrimp, shortly after they've hatched, there's no need for brine shrimp to live longer... but I do like the fact that Sea-Monkeys can hatch, even without the bubbler... that would be something I would want to invest in, if it were possible. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im guessing the fact they are a man made item like glofish that they are protected form being 'copied'.

Ive always wanted to try these as feeders: http://www.arizonafairyshrimp.com/fairyshrimp.html

Imagine this, for your fish
Branchinecta gigas
giant-fairy-shrimp.jpg

Picture from: http://invader-xan.pbworks.com/w/page/8 ... omalocaris

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I have left the air stone off on accident and they will definitely die quickly without the air. I never had sea monkeys as a kid though.

I did the same thing last night, and all the baby brine shrimp were dead :\ so I had to quickly make another batch.

I just remember with the Sea-Monkeys, that you put in the eggs, and they would hatch and grow...
They DO, however sell a little "aerator" . . . which is basically just a little plastic medicine dropper, but I remember having Sea-Monkeys that didn't come with one of those, and they lived pretty well for months.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Here we go... http://www.seamonkeyworship.com/creator.html
"The main concern about the current Sea Monkeys is the lack of oxygen in the tank during their first weeks of life. He noted that there are up to 100 eggs in a Sea Monkey batch but, unfortunately, many fail to grow because they lack the nutrients and oxygen that they require to thrive in the tank. One suggestion he gave me was to aerate the tank daily until they are big enough to be seen with the naked eye or, alternately, move the water back and forth between the tank and a clean container to give them some aeration."

Ahh! Nice catch, DMD123! So, I guess they're not as better as I had thought. Hahahaha...well then. Looks like I'm stuck with just hatching regular brine shrimp the same way we've all been doing it. =P

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
It amazes me all the junk they have for Sea Monkeys... http://www.sea-monkey.com

What exactly is in Item No. 84, Cupid's-Arrow Mating Powder?
mating.jpg

And can I put this on my Resume under education?
Item No. 13, Crustacean College Diploma . . . $16.OO
'Get a College Degree with a Real Diploma certifying you as a Sea-Monkey Scientist!'

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The horror! They actually CRUSHED the baby Sea Monkeys when they were dropped in the tank! :(
I know its not really funny but that part of the video did make me laugh. Man am I warped! ;)

I *NEVER* actually got the "diamonds" to float, probably because the water never evaporated enough for the saltwater to become more.. um.. "thicker" ? I can't think of the word at the moment. lol!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You must have been one of those 'rich kids' with all the cool Sea Monkey stuff!
Mine was a basic set up done in a glass jar. I had the Ghetto Sea Monkeys! I even had ghetto names for them all! :D

I wouldn't say "rich"... More like, Santa gave it to me :-D

I kinda want some sea monkeys all of a sudden. Maybe I will save some of the baby brine and let them grow to adulthood. Then feed them to my fish!!! Beahahahaha!!!!