Saltwater setup help

lilfishie

During a cycle it is good to have some kind of lighting on it. And yes, you can do small water changes during the cycle. Some will say no, you wont get a cycle if you do that, but that's not true. Your bacteria grows in the rocks, not in the water. If you are starting with live rock from an existing system, you will probably not have a cycle to speak of. Possibly a low ammonia level to start if there was any die off from a transfer from one system to yours, but nothing more.

Fish Addict

I was thinking I could set it up with live sand and live rock with the 65 watt light and let it run while I save for a 90-120 watt light. If I reme er you are supposed to run a system for 3-6 months before you add anything.

Fish Addict

Today I finally had time so I cleaned to tank and put in 20 lb of CaribSea Ocean Direct live sand and filled the tank with saltwater... it has been 4 hours but my water is still so cloudy I can't see through it.

I have been told to only put in an inch of live sand or less because more causes phosphate and nitrate problems but other people have said atleast 3+ because any less causes problems.... I am sure both are right in some way but what would you recomend for a novice?

Zerc

I just started a salt tank myself, i have a 36g bowfront with a 29g sump. (Sump was a 1 year+ established tank so my cycling is pretty quick) All i have for lighting atm is some crappy florescents though. Did you consider DIY leds fish addict?

dondud

I have a 46bowfront. I started with live rocks from an established tank, so cycling was a breeze for me. i also just used 20lbs of the same stuff you are using. I am guessing since i am also a novice at this, that we should start with a shallow sandbed. and don't worry about the cloudiness. It will go away the next day. I had an external HOB filtration and tank was clear the next day.

@ lorrie --- i saw a pic you had posted in this discussion. Is there no sand at the back of your tank? I saw u had one pump on the bottom.

Fish Addict

Didn't even know about them until just now but I will look into them. That sounds a lot better then the lights I have been looking at

lilfishie

dondud said:
@ lorrie --- i saw a pic you had posted in this discussion. Is there no sand at the back of your tank? I saw u had one pump on the bottom.

Yeah, there is sand back there. Just a little shallow because of the powerhead...and from the diamond goby moving it around.

Fish Addict

Where is a good place to find info on how to build a DIY led reef light and where do you get parts? I have been trying to look but I can't find any good step by step instructions.

Fish Addict

10 pounds of fiji live rock
a snail
2 hermit crabs
2 female silver mollies

the stuff that came on the live rock:
a stomata (spelt wrong I think)
A bristle worm
a whole bunch of purple coralline algae
apisto anemones (I plan to kill once they are big enough to kill)
bubble algae ( I think I got it all... I hope I got it all...)

and to make it just all THAT much more fun my coralife light bulb seperated from the base and the fixture broke :( I am looking for good LEDs and I don't want to spend more then $250 I want them to be able to handle almost everything short of SPS

Fish Addict

got ~50 pounds of live rock from gobluecichlids and ~6 pounds of rubble for a 10 gallon refugium

The rock is some of the most ALIVE live rock I have found

freddieb

I agree completely about the lighting. Not enough and your anenome will slowly die. I have a 30 gallon with 150 watt LED and that's almost overkill. My Rose Bubble Tip stays at the bottom of my tank with tentacles close, which is how I like it since I have other corals that it will sting.

If you're like many of us, your anenome will be your first purchase (of many). I've found softies will do ok even with PC, T5's, or VHO's. If you eventually graduate to SPS's, many go with Metal Halides.

>when I cycle with live rock and sand only do I need a light? Do I do water changes?
You don't need a light to cycle live rock, just TIME.. I'd do water changes every couple weeks until ammonia and nitrites get to zero.