Sad Day

JLux1106

Re: Sad Day

maybe if i transter some water from my established 55 it will help balance my 90? what do ya guys think?

icer711

that should help some but you would be better off transferring some media out of the filter on your 55 to your 90 gl that will go a lot farther than just the water (the water holds some bacteria but not as much as what is in the filter material) even if its only half of what you have in the filter not sure what your using i believe HOB's if i remember for a previous thread if thats the case just move the whole filter that probably your easiest option hope it helps

regan24

Bacteria collects more on the ornaments/plants/gravel/filtration... So if you take maybe a handful of gravel, one of your plants (if you have any in there), and a "dirty" cartridge, that would probably help more.

sandnuka

I agree with icer711 and regan24 100%.... puttin in water may even cause another ammonia spike because the waste in the other tank will come to your new one, and you wont have any good bacteria yet...... So definetly move a filter over... that will kill your cycle time immediatly...

Good luck ;)

protocl

So sorry for the loss.
Keeping arowana's isn't an easy task, as with any high maintainance fishes.
Besides water param. location and setup for any aro. is important.

Some times, it's the fish that isn't strong nor capable to be kept long term.
If you need some advice about aro. hit me up.

JLux1106

well what actually exited me the other night is when i went to feed my senegal i saw what looked like little blades of grass growing between the rocks and then i realized when i had the rocks in wa bucket outside it was below a bird feeder from my neighbores in the apartment above ...so that must be a good sign right? haha

sandnuka

hmm..... well I dont think the bird seed is turning to grass in your tank? Possiblty hair alge?? Even if it was the bird seed growing, it wouldnt have anything to do with your tank being ready.....

But, Its possible your tank is ready cause you still have a live fish in there, and you've been feeding him. Did you get a test kit? like i said, if you dont want to fork over the 32 bucks for a freshwater test kit itleast get some test strips... gotta check the water before you put in an expensive and more difficult fish to keep... make sure PH, hardness, nitrate are all where they should be. :)

JLux1106

well i know its not grass haha it just looks like grass right now i dont know what it is but its growing fast and im just about to swap filters as well and im kinda strapped for cash right now and cant afford to spend anything on my tanks untill i pay rent ...laaaame

sandnuka

I would not put any fish worth anything over a dollar in your tank until you get some kind of test kit..... as soon as you jump to moderate and difficult fish to keep, the water in your tank has to be specific to the lake there from.... for example my africans from lake tang require higher ph (i put a lil baking soda in) and harder water (epsom salt works great for this).... then my discus require soft water (plants work) and a lower ph (C02, some ph decrease stuff)....

So really important, especially when your spending the big bucks on fish to get some kind of test kit.... I know your not plannin on spending anything on the tank now, but next time your in the pet store buy test stuff first before gettin a fish.

good luck :)

Addictedtofish

To be truthful you dont have to be specific to a lake the fish came from, only if it was wild caught or your raising fry. When fish are raised by local breeders or pet stores the fish are already at juvenile or older stage and most of the time there far away from WC and can tolerate water parameters outside there WC relatives. I know for a fact some breeders of tropheus raise fry and there parents in 7.2 to 7.4 PH and they breed like crazy. Sometimes its better to stick with the water parameters you already have for where you live.Adding all those chemicals and additives to the water to get your water to ideal conditions may only cause stress to your fish.If you take the time to acclimate your fish to your water parameters without all the chemicals your fish will only be happier and you also because now you dont have to worry when doing water changes that your water is going to be the same as whats in the tank.

Betty

Staff member

JLux, a lot of fish stores will test the water for you free of charge if you take in a small sample. It would be good to know at least the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings are safe before adding fish. I'm not sure, but I think even the chain pet stores will test for you.

JLux1106

actually now that i think about it your right i think the will test it for you maybe ill tsake some down today if i can get awa for a little bit thanks

sandnuka

Didnt even think of having the LFS test it for ya! thanks... great information!

addictedtofish - I know several people that keep there rift lake fish at lower ph.... I think I wrote this in a thread once... but I went to friends house who was housing africans and SA cichlids in a large tank together... his africans looked really dull in color to me, I asked him what his water parameters were and they were at the high 6's.... thats the way it came out of his tap he said.... anyway, I ended up takin the africans off of his hands and when i put them in higher PH water there color brightened up so much... I mean he couldnt believe they were the same fish when he came over.... so, fish can live in water parameters that are different to there lake, but I have noticed you get a more active, happier, better lookin fish if you make the water same as the lake they come from.

sidekicking

Yeah I agreed with sand I have also brought fish home from LFS stores and sometimes their colors are kinda dull...and once you put them at the right ph their colors will be way brighter and happier fish
so your better off keeping the right water parameters