Run of the mill angels

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
48C934F5-94C0-4C8C-B0D2-04736A559B97.jpeg 3C602908-D276-42E1-858F-398C8A8D1D70.jpeg So with my new 75g I decided to add 3 angels..... ones marble looking with a ton of black, one is primarily white, and one is a mix of yellow , black, and white..... all sourced from local pet stores so nothing pure I’m guessing. I believe I have two males and a female as the white has laid eggs and the black guards them ( until they are eaten by the tetras).
But my question is..... do angels develop nuchal humps? My tri colored one is developing what looks like a nuchal hump but I am fearful that maybe it’s some weird growth / tumor. The hump is also why I suspect it to be a male as with most cichlids that get nuchal humps, the males grow the hump.

Do any of you angel keepers know anything about the possibility of nuchal humps in angels?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I'm going to qualify this by saying that I don't know about any of the myriad stains that have been developed since I kept angels years ago, but as regards wild angels and the traditional strains derived from them, old males can develop modest forehead swellings, but nothing that I would call a nuchal hump, and certainly nothing like the exaggerated humps that seem to be popular in some of the Neotropicals and their derivatives today. That said, the hump on your tricolor looks unusual, but whether it is some kind of abnormal growth or simply a characteristic of this strain is impossible to say.

This is an old pic of one of my breeding pairs of F1 angels at about 2 years of age. If you look carefully, you can see that the male in the background has somewhat of a swollen forehead compared to the female. He never developed anything more than this, and he lived to be a ripe old age. This pair produced hundreds of beautiful progeny.

Angel_Pair.jpg

In contrast, about the biggest nuchal hump I've ever seen on an angel is shown below; I found this pic online.

11426_004_jp_c59b26ab5b.jpg

This poor old boy is fat everywhere, including his forehead, and he has none of the beautiful, long finnage that typifies this species in the wild. It's what happens with too much inattentive inbreeding in captivity.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks so much for the info.... I’ve never seen any angels before with a hump that’s why I asked.... and with all transparency I’ve never really paid attention to angels except for wild caught altums ( when an old member on the box invited me over to see his group of altums back in like 2014).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378 were a couple of those angels from that huge batch Aquarium Paradise had a while back? If so mine is from that group too. This one is female and has laid eggs before.
795A8F7B-CA50-4AEB-B796-59A555C61CEA.png

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378 were a couple of those angels from that huge batch Aquarium Paradise had a while back? If so mine is from that group too. This one is female and has laid eggs before.
View attachment 7361
The only one from AP was the marble black one ( my largest male) the other two came from a random tank at Martin Henry’s they were 1/2 the size of the marbled one but now they are all the same size