Return line sizing for a sump questions.

xicaque

theChad said:
Just for the halibut,
Here is the Line Lock set up I used with a 1250GPH in a 7 foot tank.  It's currently set up with 3/4" PVC. I changed it out when I switched to small tetras, dwarf cichlids so they could swim in a more natural motion.
One I had pointed toward the top of the water about an inch under the tanks water line, the other  pointed down so the current would curtain down the side and create a current toward my overflow along the bottom. They also snap apart (it's hard but possible), to adjust lengths.
Where do you recommend I can get this line lock at a good price?

A

Anonymous

xicaque said:
theChad said:
Just for the halibut,
Here is the Line Lock set up I used with a 1250GPH in a 7 foot tank.  It's currently set up with 3/4" PVC. I changed it out when I switched to small tetras, dwarf cichlids so they could swim in a more natural motion.
One I had pointed toward the top of the water about an inch under the tanks water line, the other  pointed down so the current would curtain down the side and create a current toward my overflow along the bottom. They also snap apart (it's hard but possible), to adjust lengths.
Where do you recommend I can get this line lock at a good price?

xicaque, Ive had this piece for a long time. I remember shopping around and finding that I had to purchase a whole kit to get what I needed. It was expensive! If I remember correctly it took me a month to talk myself into purchasing....
Maybe someone else will chime in with a resource for you. I would probably sell you this piece but you live a loOng way!!

A

Anonymous

Aquarium Co-Op said:
I ended up plumbing 1 inch. Incase I want to upgrade my pump :D
Good idea Cory,
This is a larger tank, if I remember correctly about 170g? I would recommend a pump somewhere in the 1200GPH range for this system. Your 1000Gph pump may be enough but its smart to look toward the future. This will eleviate the headache of replumbing :)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
theChad said:
Aquarium Co-Op said:
I ended up plumbing 1 inch. Incase I want to upgrade my pump :D
Good idea Cory,
This is a larger tank, if I remember correctly about 170g? I would recommend a pump somewhere in the 1200GPH range for this system. Your 1000Gph pump may be enough but its smart to look toward the future. This will eleviate the headache of replumbing :)
Yeah mostly I'd need to find one that is energy efficient too. Once you get to far above 1000gph, there are a lot of pumps that are real energy hogs.

Madness

Staff member
I really like the Rio's, low on energy consumption. One pump that I have in 3 of my wet/drys and they are all still pumping like champs is the 'Deep Blue Triton 5' pumps 1350 gph at 0 head has a max of 13', and uses only 60 watts.

Let us know what you decide, or find in your research.

A

Anonymous

I have a Gen-X PCX40 external pump thats 55W pumping 1190GPH. I have no frame of reference really, is this a lot of Watts for a pump this large?