Return line sizing for a sump questions.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hoping someone has the math or just general answers to this question.

I'm wondering how much the flow is reduced on a return line if I run say 1 inch pvc from the sump back into the tank. Vs running 1/2 inch pvc from the sump to the tank.

The reason I ask is the way I plan on doing this return inside the tank it'll be much easier to hide 1/2 inch white pvc vs 1 inch pvc.

I'm planning to use a 1000 gph pump. Quietone 4000.

Thanks for any insights.

A

Anonymous

From my experience the flow will not be restricted at all but will create more pressure using the smaller diameter return hose. I am using 3/4" return & have dabbled quite a bit in reducing pressure from a 1250GPH pump. To reduce the pressure back down one can split the line at the top of the tank using a Y then use  interlocking tubing to direct flow where you want. I have this connection and interlocking tubing sitting in my garage, i believe it IS 1/2 inch & ready to be installed. It needs a good home so if your interested let me know. I don't mind pulling it out, snapping photos and sending them to you  if you just want to check it out...

Sorry, I am not very good with math :)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'll keep that in mind Chad. I'm not exactly sure how I'm plumbing the return line yet. Have to decide if I want a 3d background etc still :D

Madness

Staff member
:plus1:  On Chad. I have 3/4" return lines on all my tanks over 200 gal., except my 400 I have 1". The only difference like Chad said will be pressure. 1000 gph in a 1/2" return is going to blow hard, really hard. LOL

censeoflife

I used 1/2" for my reuturn line with 750 gph for pressure, "T" split to a main outlet and a spray bar and used a single ball valve to further control pressure. This created a flow in the tank moving from left to right from the main to overflow and moving from back to front across the substrate. (spray bar is across the bottom rear, aquaclear integrated type.)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Any pictures of that censeoflife?

I want the pressure to be really strong as I'm making a river tank for clown loaches :)

A

Anonymous

A detail u might want to consider; Head pressure, depending on manufacture and model every foot of water return line the pump will loose anywhere from 40-70 GPH. So, if you have a 4' return line hooked to a 1000GPH Pump this will reduce flow to roughly 800 GPH (give or take). So, yeah a 1/2 inch hose should be okay using these figures...

A ball valve & check valve on water return lines is strongly recommended.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Instead of the check valve I think I'm going to drill a hole right at my water line as a siphon break instead. I've seen check valves fail before :(

A

Anonymous

Balance between the in-tank overflow , where the return line sits in tank & in-sump water level is the true fail safe against sump overflow. This is one reason we never see a sump return line more than an inch under the tanks water level. Check valves are used to keep the water in the return line and some pumps primed for instant restarts. I never use a check valve as a primary fail safe .

A

Anonymous

Just for the halibut,
Here is the Line Lock set up I used with a 1250GPH in a 7 foot tank.  It's currently set up with 3/4" PVC. I changed it out when I switched to small tetras, dwarf cichlids so they could swim in a more natural motion.
One I had pointed toward the top of the water about an inch under the tanks water line, the other pointed down so the current would curtain down the side and create a current toward my overflow along the bottom. They also snap apart (it's hard but possible), to adjust lengths.

A

Anonymous

Aquarium Co-Op said:
Chad are those the flow accelerators on the end of that loc line?
I want to say that they are. The tips seem tapered a bit from the diameter of the lock line. Also I should add that in this configuration I installed a ball valve( just slipped it over the end) at the end of the shorter port to maximize pressure out of the longer line. This brought on a really good current my plecos, Clown Loaches, pikes, bass, and even Adult Madagascar Rainbows loved! My lil tetras....not so much, lol!

A

Anonymous

@cenceoflife, If you dont mind me asking. I think I understand the PVC going up over the tank woth spay bar attached inside but what is that other connection hooked into the bulkhead?

A

Anonymous

Oh, how I love these talks about sumps & water returns :)
Thanks cenceoflife.