Raphael Cats hunting for live food...

Jackietupr

I recently had my Raphael Catfish in my 55 gallon with some baby Platy & a baby Angelfish when some of the babies came up missing. First was the baby Angel, then four of the baby Platy were missing one day. After asking about the Raphael hunting baby Platy at Aquarium Paradise and hearing that they can even hunt full grown Platy, I removed him immediately!!!!

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? I thought they were scavengers...like food off the bottom of the tank...not live food swimming around vigorously! These baby Platy were very vigorous when netted, and I just can't imagine them being caught by surprise in a tank that size.

Any answers will help tremendously.

rattle1972

I had two big swordtails disappear on me about a year ago.
My raphael was the only possible culprit. Still have him, and
He has never since taken anything. But now all my fish are
Quite larger then him.

I think it's a sleeping thing. They sleep he
Eats them!

Wolf-Keeper1

Yeah. Def think it's a sleeping thing. When they sleep
is when he is up scavaging. And sleeping fish make easy meals. Atleast that's what I think but I am no expert in any fish soooo....

Addictedtofish

Jackietupr said:
I recently had my Raphael Catfish in my 55 gallon with some baby Platy & a baby Angelfish when some of the babies came up missing. First was the baby Angel, then four of the baby Platy were missing one day. After asking about the Raphael hunting baby Platy at Aquarium Paradise and hearing that they can even hunt full grown Platy, I removed him immediately!!!!

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? I thought they were scavengers...like food off the bottom of the tank...not live food swimming around vigorously! These baby Platy were very vigorous when netted, and I just can't imagine them being caught by surprise in a tank that size.

Any answers will help tremendously.
Catfish normally feed at night and even if they maybe called scavengers, isnt a sleeping fish considered dead? Even a herbivore will eat small fish. Fish will eat anything if given the oppurtunity.