Random photos of the fam

Madness

Staff member
I relocated this thread over to the pictures/videos section of the forum. Nice looking cats. :)

ArtPleco

Betty,

4 clowns 0ne different varient may be of a hybrid
3 Chaetostoma (rubberlip) of different variation

1 Royal l190
1 sailfin gibs
2 bn one albino one regular
1 rhino
1 l114 cactus (believed to be a hybrid)

Madness

Staff member
Betty,

4 clowns 0ne different varient may be of a hybrid
3 Chaetostoma (rubberlip) of different variation

1 Royal l190
1 sailfin gibs
2 bn one albino one regular
1 rhino
1 l114 cactus (believed to be a hybrid)

What makes you think that your 114 is a hybrid?

ArtPleco

Madness,
I didn't think it was and still in growing stage. After a controversy of wondering male or female, now thought of as female. There was a Long debate from breeders and keepers about it. Based on its appearance of being of "600/114" due to coloration, spots, and fins. Thus only going by what "masters of the Pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus" have said.

Madness

Staff member
Madness,
I didn't think it was and still in growing stage. After a controversy of wondering male or female, now thought of as female. There was a Long debate from breeders and keepers about it. Based on its appearance of being of "600/114" due to coloration, spots, and fins. Thus only going by what "masters of the Pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus" have said.
From what I know, the 600 isnt even recognized at this time by DATZ. It has been said to be a different locale of the 114. When the Loricariidae started getting numbered every time a new species was found in a new locale, a new number was assigned to said fish. This is why so many Loricariidae have several numbers identifying them. I am curious, so I am going to look around and ask some questions. :)

L190

Glad you can get picks of your l114. mine hides all of the time, recently I haven't seen it. I hope it is still alive.

ArtPleco

From what I know, the 600 isnt even recognized at this time by DATZ. It has been said to be a different locale of the 114. When the Loricariidae started getting numbered every time a new species was found in a new locale, a new number was assigned to said fish. This is why so many Loricariidae have several numbers identifying them. I am curious, so I am going to look around and ask some questions. :)

Yes please. I have seen a few hybrids now, and will post as soon as I reply here haha

ArtPleco

Trying to find the fb post I did where there was a lot chiming in on it but can seem to find it now. I apologize.

Madness

Staff member
I have a couple FB threads up on this very topic. What I have found is that most say that the 114 has many body color variations as well as fin color variation. The 114 has larger spots or blotches on the body and they continue to the head and face. Whereas the 600, also many color variations, has the spots/blotches on body but disappear or become very small as they approach the head and face.

According to a Loricariidae expert when it comes to science the 114 and the 600 are the same species, when it comes to breeders/keepers they differentiate the 2 by the spotting patterns on the head.

By that logic, yours to me looks like a 114. Here is one of my 114's and both are wild and both have different fin color patterns. 20151004_200705_LLS.jpg

Madness

Staff member
I have put out more feelers on this topic, hopefully more info to follow.

Is there a chance that maybe yours is a 427?
download (2).jpg

ArtPleco

Thanks! Very informative, and it's funny; right as you posted and looking at these very photos I thought "wow all of the ones I seen thus far (including yours) have much bigger darker spot variations." When I saw the last picture, I said that is the closes; I never seen an l427. So I assumed it was 114, and others thought it wasn't which the assumption being a hybrid from other convos. I have been trying to track down the person who brought it in but no such luck, yet. I only know whom I bought it from, it is a feisty one! Will protect other plecos while herding the bigger ones that try to dominate the tank. No one F's with this pleco that is for sure.