Rack Em Up! Garage tank rack project

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
LOL! All fishrooms are a work in progress! As I posted earlier, I'm getting ready to change out two of my 55s for new Aqueon 75s that I picked up at Petco this week for $105 each. That means that I will need to modify the stands for these tanks, so it is going to be a project. Perhaps I will start a separate thread on that project, much like this 'Rack 'Em Up' thread. :)
You should do a thread on your fish stand and tank upgrade. Would love to see that!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the matching Beamswork light and dimmer/timer for the 30 gallon.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the matching Beamswork light and dimmer/timer for the 30 gallon.
I knew it, because I had the same experience! I bought one Beamswork, then two, and before long my entire fish room
had all Beanswork fixtures. I do like having matching illumination on my tanks. That said, I do have a whole pile of 48" HO T5 fixtures in my garage. :oops:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My new fixture and timer should be here this week. Thinking about the project has made me think about replacing the 30 gallon on the bottom with a 40B, lol. Main reason is just for aquascape, a 12" tank is pretty limited. I would have to add a new plywood base to do it but it might be a future upgrade.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
My new fixture and timer should be here this week. Thinking about the project has made me think about replacing the 30 gallon on the bottom with a 40B, lol. Main reason is just for aquascape, a 12" tank is pretty limited. I would have to add a new plywood base to do it but it might be a future upgrade.
I thought about replacing the 40L's on the lower level of my 55/75 project (thread coming!) with 40B's, but decided against it because space is tight at the top of the lower tanks, and reaching to the back of a 40B (18") would be much more difficult than that of a 40L (12").

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about replacing the 40L's on the lower level of my 55/75 project (thread coming!) with 40B's, but decided against it because space is tight at the top of the lower tanks, and reaching to the back of a 40B (18") would be much more difficult than that of a 40L (12").
Thats the reason I originally had for my choice, the tight space. I think I have enough space to do it after all but have used up all my sheets of plywood, edge banding and paint. So more supplies needed too. It was just a thought.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Amazon shows that my new light fixture was delivered today but the timer that was ordered at the same time is delayed... The light came UPS and the timer is being sent USPS. Would have been nice if they both arrived on the same day.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just got email update that the timer is to arrive today, here's hoping it will.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been happy with the garage set up in general but now its a fine tuning process. I am changing out some stock and changing aquascapes. I realized the need to get bigger pieces of wood and stone in the tanks. Im selling off all the small stuff and working on finding bigger pieces.

This is a large Manzanita branch in a 65B... It might just be a hair too big, lol
IMG_20210606_094704474_HDR.jpg
The other 65B had a couple semi large pieces but I feel it needs some sort of branch in there still. Work in progress. This tank is getting the Peace River swapped out to a bit larger grained small gravel from CaribSea called Rio Grande. I think it might also be a shade darker too. I dont like the substrate too light. The one piece of Mopani was carved to form a cave for the fish. I had a hairy puffer in mind in particular, but currently just have a trimac female in there. Fish to move around also.
IMG_20210313_100040709.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great! I think your new inhabitants will enjoy those shells( digging around them and moving them to their hearts content).
I really was not super confident doing shell dwellers and have definitely appreciated all the help from you guys. I think Im going to enjoy this tank a lot, much like my simple 46g bowfront community tank. I think sometime just a simple little set up brings the most joy in the hobby.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well the fishroom is never done, lol.

With my new water heater slated for install on December 3rd Ive been looking at a lot of things in the garage and think there is one other area for improvement... the utility sink. I was happy we installed on but it is too small. I picked an 18" model never thinking it would be use as heavily it for fish tank in the garage. So Im thinking about a one piece unit in stainless to replace the current one and the cabinet.
0950BF3B-E388-4F9E-A04C-19182E305781.jpeg
Want to replace the two pieces with a one piece stainless unit. Something like this:
611hsleQrOS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Also would like to not be right against the washer either. So Im in a shopping stage at this point looking for a one piece stainless with a 24" bowl and the table on the left. Was hoping to keep it in the $350 range but only seeing these expensive things at the moment. My existing faucet wont work with most of them either so need new faucet to go with it.

i guess closer to this but want a slightly deeper sink than 8"
61TptMlMqES._AC_SL1500_.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't done much except maintenance until yesterday. Decided I am going to swap out the 30 gallon tank with a Fluval Flex 32 that I got from Sierra in Renton. It should look pretty cool on the bottom shelf.