FS Puffers, Tbars, Corydoras PU Marysville

Bob

For sale, meetup in Marysville only.

Pao abei puffers, ~3 inches, x3 $90 for all 3 - All currently live together in a 20g tall but will need at least a 40 as they continue to grow.
Amatitlania sajica, T-Bar Cichlids, ~3 inches 2 males, $15 for both.
Corydoras schwartzi black, ~3/4 inch, 6 for $60

John58Ford

Can you post a picture of the Cory cats? I can't find a black Schwartzi stock image but am interested as long as they aren't as dark as the schultzei, my sterbai s strangely haven't bred and I would enjoy another Cory gang.

Bob

Can you post a picture of the Cory cats? I can't find a black Schwartzi stock image but am interested as long as they aren't as dark as the schultzei, my sterbai s strangely haven't bred and I would enjoy another Cory gang.

The trade name for Corydoras schwartzi black is "corydoras venezuelanus black". There is a long back story to how the hobby ended up with the wrong fish. Some people still call them Corydoras aeneus black, which is incorrect as well. But anytime you see someone selling black venezuelanus they are indeed schwartzi. Hence googling corydoras venezuelanus black will show you what the fish looks like. Which is a really dark cory with varying degrees of dark copper finnage. All that being said, here is a picture lol
cblack.png

John58Ford

The trade name for Corydoras schwartzi black is "corydoras venezuelanus black". There is a long back story to how the hobby ended up with the wrong fish. Some people still call them Corydoras aeneus black, which is incorrect as well. But anytime you see someone selling black venezuelanus they are indeed schwartzi. Hence googling corydoras venezuelanus black will show you what the fish looks like. Which is a really dark cory with varying degrees of dark copper finnage. All that being said, here is a picture lol
View attachment 13494
Thanks for the reply, that's good information I didn't know for sure. It seems the name thing is an issue pretty frequently in the hobby. They are a darker fish than I'm looking for this time but still very cool.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
...It seems the name thing is an issue pretty frequently in the hobby...
Sad but true. I think it's fair to say that most hobbyists don't know (or care about) more than a handful of proper scientific names for their fishes, if that. Contrariwise, trade names like 'Starry Night,' 'Dragon Blood,' and 'Lemon Jake' are bantered about with impunity. The classifications of many groups of cichlids are confused at best; losing track of their proper scientific names just adds to the confusion.

hyp3rcrav3

Sad but true. I think it's fair to say that most hobbyists don't know (or care about) more than a handful of proper scientific names for their fishes, if that. Contrariwise, trade names like 'Starry Night,' 'Dragon Blood,' and 'Lemon Jake' are bantered about with impunity. The classifications of many groups of cichlids are confused at best; losing track of their proper scientific names just adds to the confusion.
It drives me crazy the use of common names. Sometime three different animals have the same common name. This is also true for house and garden plants. Come on people, don't be lazy! It's not that tough to grasp a little Latin and Greek for the sake of specificity and clarity.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III

As an example of how bad this situation has become, here's an excerpt from a recent post on the Cichlid Forum in which the poster was considering the following stock list of Lake Malawi cichlids. Most of these fishes are in the genus Aulonocara, and several of them are actually the same species.

Screenshot 2024-02-13R2.pngn

hyp3rcrav3

As an example of how bad this situation has become, here's an excerpt from a recent post on the Cichlid Forum in which the poster was considering the following stock list of Lake Malawi cichlids. Most of these fishes are in the genus Aulonocara, and several of them are actually the same species.

Of course purchasing fish from these guys is definitely a mistake. When I was new to African cichlids, I would purchase online thinking I was buying Yellow labs and such. Sometimes I would get the actual species from someone's species tank but other times I would unwittingly get crosses from people who insisted they were selling a fish that they weren't.
My only African tank now is yellow labs and I won't sell them because I don't know the purity. Every once in a while I add stock to maintain genetic diversity but I couldn't honestly sell them as Labidochromis caeruleus.