Pseudomugil gertrudae

Digsy

Has anyone kept these fish? I'm considering adding a few to an approximately 9 gallon planted tank and seeing if anyone had any advice. Also, has anyone seen them at any stores locally?

Jacko

One of my favorite micro fish, I used to keep and breed these guys. Tons of fun and pretty easy to breed, the adults love microworms and that's one of the best ways to get them breeding, I fed the new babies APR, but golden pearls would probably work just as well.

Plants are great for them, moss is a plus for breeding.

We've got some at Midway, APFP has them and Blue Sierra had them last time I was there.

Digsy

Thanks Bassman42 and Jacko for the great info and leads! I actually e-mailed APFP (as opposed to calling and butchering the name) because I thought they almost always have everything I need. Good to know they have them there, I'll have to stop by.

Jacko, are these an okay fish for an open-top tank? I've never had a problem with the Boraras brigittae but it's hard to find other small fish that aren't infamous for jumping.

Jacko

They can be jumpers, I lost about 11 fry/juvies that way, over a course of 2 days I found them all over my desk :(

Digsy

Well, that's not what I wanted to hear. :x I can't see putting any kind of a cover on my ADA rimless tank so, I guess I might have to stick with my Boraras...maybe CPDs?

Digsy

Yeah, I originally was going to do CPDs but was having a hard time finding them so, moved onto the P. gertrudae. Good to know they don't jump. Anyone seen any good local prices on CPDs?

Jacko

generally between 6 and 8 dollars, ours are 5.99 and I think APFP have them at 5.99 or 6.99

I got mine through a GSAS auction for 3 bucks a pop... was supposed to be juvies but it ended up being 3 fry and 3 adults, average it out and you get juvies :x

Digsy

I've been to GSAS meetings when they had them for auction but either my tank wasn't ready for them or there were more than I could possibly cram into a tank. Either way, thanks for the pricing info. I'm thinking I'll pick some of these up in the next week or two.