Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae

Betty

Staff member
Just thought I'd share a few pictures. I have three left of the five I started with, after a lot of aggression. Two males and one female -- each living in a separate tank until I can get more females to add all at once to spread that aggression from the male(s).

They are from the Lake Victoria basin.

b654e9e9.jpg

cef60120.jpg

8471d620.jpg

4a2fdd55.jpg

6d2fde2b.jpg

Betty

Staff member
The small one in the second pic is the little female. The others are the two males. The last picture shows a male after he was moved to a separate tank. You can see the difference in color when he is over black sand.

larry.beck

Betty said:
You can see the difference in color when he is over black sand.
I love how the sand color makes our cichlids change. Only problem is getting an environment where they can all shine! LOL

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Will you be at the Christmas party Betty? Might be able to bring you a few more females.

Betty

Staff member
Hi Cory. I don't think I'm going to be at the party, but will definitely be in touch if I can make it. Thanks.

I still want to get up to your store -- one of these days!

Betty

Staff member
This topic is nearly two years old now, but thought I'd update it since I finally found some this summer.  

I had no luck finding females and never made it to Cory's store (before the Co-op). Then one day I noticed cichlid-gal's stocklist. :cheers:  And thanks to her generosity, I now have several young victoriae and I'm sure there will be some females in the bunch. I've had them for a couple of months now and though they are still small, I'm starting to see signs of male coloring on a couple and definite male coloring on this one. I hope the rest are females! :queen: 

They are doing well, cichlid-gal.  Thanks!

cichlid-gal

Awww Betty....they look wonderful.  You take such great pictures.  Look at those blue lips...love it!

I'm so happy to see them growing up and showing that happiness for you.  I hope you have lots of females too.  I just placed the last few that I held onto for myself (there were 5 of them) from my growout tank into my main tank and I'm hoping most of those are females for me also.  I only have three adult females and those poor ladies are almost always holding babies.

BallardFishGuy

I received some of these fish from Donna :) too and to my surprise one of these small/young females is holding already...can't believe it. Donna did warn me they breed early!  Now I need a plan and have i'm guessing a week to figure it out as I've read it's 10 days holding time, right Donna?

The female I think is holding...

cichlid-gal

Ryan...I would leave her in the tank for now. She is young and if she is holding (she sure looks like she is) she will do better if you let her just run the first few courses undisturbed. After she is grown a bit, if you want to raise some fry, you can pull her to a hang-on fry rearing box. And although a lot of articles say 10 days holding, I think its more like 14 days. The babies are tiny tiny when born. I feed mine with BBS, cyclops, and then a little crushed flake. I left them with mom for while and let her care for them in the box, then after a few days I pulled the mom to a recovery tank. Mom stayed there for about a week getting time to rest and rejuvenate before returning to the main tank.

And congrats!

BallardFishGuy

Make that two females holding...here we go! I'll have to take a video tomorrow night and upload it.

Missed seeing you tonight Donna, get better soon!

Madness

Staff member
Betty, had did I miss this thread and those pictures?

Very nice looking trio. :D

BallardFishGuy

cichlid-gal said:
Ryan...I would leave her in the tank for now.  She is young and if she is holding (she sure looks like she is) she will do better if you let her just run the first few courses undisturbed.  After she is grown a bit, if you want to raise some fry, you can pull her to a hang-on fry rearing box.  And although a lot of articles say 10 days holding, I think its more like 14 days.  The babies are tiny tiny when born.  I feed mine with BBS, cyclops, and then a little crushed flake.  I left them with mom for while and let her care for them in the box, then after a few days I pulled the mom to a recovery tank.  Mom stayed there for about a week getting time to rest and rejuvenate before returning to the main tank.

And congrats!
Donna - you are right, 10 days came and went and now were on day 11 and no fry yet. Of corse we will be gone most of tomorow and back Sunday night so I hope she spits them Sunday night and not sooner... here's hoping! :shock: 

BallardFishGuy

Day 15 no fry yet but seems close as it looks like there are fry in her mouth now instead of eggs.

Also I notice one of the fish which I believe to be a sub-dominant male biting her or more of a love kiss on her mid section and then he waves his tale at her...am I correct that he's trying to get her to mate with him even though she's holding? He also tried to "lip lock" with her, for lack of a better word. Anyway she whacked him and told him to back off! Anyway fun to see as no harm was done to anyone.