Proper Quarantine

Stingro

Hi guys,

Just want to know how everybody does their quarantine. What medications do you guys keep in stock and which to use and when?

I lost a good amount of Betta to dropsy even tho I was doing water changes everyday and using maracyn and epsom salt.

Thanks.

Madness

Staff member
My question is, why subject your fish to harsh meds if it's not necessary. QT for 6 weeks plus, and monitor, if you see an issue rising then medicate.

Stingro

My question is, why subject your fish to harsh meds if it's not necessary. QT for 6 weeks plus, and monitor, if you see an issue rising then medicate.
Meds for parasitic and monitor for bacterial. If signs then treat.

dwarfpike

It's not really a quarantine if it's more than or less than 40 days. ;)

I agree with Madness, if they aren't showing signs of anything, no need for the meds. I suppose if you want to be proactive, food with garlic in it would be better than medicating willy nilly.

Madness

Staff member
Over the years I have brought into my fish room dozens upon dozens of wild species, and I have never medicated without first noticing an issue. Maybe some Epsom salt or food soaked in Epsom salt to help clean out their guts, but that is it.

I suppose if it works for you then great, but for me it's a waste of money and completely unnecessary.

Betty

Staff member
Over the years I have brought into my fish room dozens upon dozens of wild species, and I have never medicated without first noticing an issue. Maybe some Epsom salt or food soaked in Epsom salt to help clean out their guts, but that is it.

I suppose if it works for you then great, but for me it's a waste of money and completely unnecessary.

@Madness I bet your quarantine tank is bigger than my biggest tank! :D

I vary the amount of time for different reasons, but try to quarantine for at least 2 weeks and don't medicate without seeing any indication of illness.

Is there any recommended treatment for a quarantined fish that won't eat, but looks and acts fine?

Madness

Staff member
@Madness I bet your quarantine tank is bigger than my biggest tank! :D

I vary the amount of time for different reasons, but try to quarantine for at least 2 weeks and don't medicate without seeing any indication of illness.

Is there any recommended treatment for a quarantined fish that won't eat, but looks and acts fine?
Nah, they are 40 breeders. :p If the new fish does not have white poo than I just wait them out, they will eventually eat. If they do have the white poo than I treat for internal parasites which is Epsom salt and parasite meds, typically metro

Stingro

What I notice is when I would quarantine the fish would live longer and have zero growth issues. In fact it would grow larger and faster. When I don't, the fish just doesn't do as good eventually or worse immediately and infects others of the same species and sometimes even of other.

Or am I just paranoid?