Problem..help!!

dondud

SO one of my angelfish does not seem to be doing well. Noticed that only on of its gill is moving and te other is not. Maybe this is normal but i dont know.
she just been hanging at the top, not swimming around. There seem to be a strand of whte mucuosy "thingy" floating from her body.

Any ideas on what to do?
thanks

sandnuka

ewww.... sounds like Saprolegnia fungus.... but could be another type of fungus too.. you have pictures? what is your water parameters?

I would do a large water change (40-50%) then raise temp to mid 80's and TONS of aquarium salt.... if things dont improve within 24 hrs, I would then go to a pet shop and get some anti fungul med...

send in more info too like your water parameters, current temp, etc.

dondud

right now its like 81F. what do u mean by water parameter?
55 gal. i treated water with antifungal med. After taking a longer look at it, the whte stringy mucuosy thingy is coming out from her anus, i wana say.

even if i take a pic, its very hard to see that thingy.

Mikey

Water parameters are what chemical and biological things are happening in there, such as PH levels, dissolved oxygen, ammonia, etc.

alexmuw

stringy feces could be a sign of internal parasites.

Put her in a hospital tank, and treat with a Anti-Parasite medication (Parasite Clear etc...).

Hospital tank is better, as you won't have to treat your entire tank. @ Petco they have a $1/gallon sale for tanks. Can pick up a 5gal for $5 or a 10gal for $10. Buy a cheap filter, get a splitter for your air-pump and extra hosing.

Good luck! and posts some pics!

dondud

yea...thought it was coming from her...but as i looked closely, noticed it was coming from her butt area.

dondud

Thanks for all the input guys...
Right now, i am using Metronidazole. Hopefully that works out for thr fish.

Fern

Should clear it right up within the week.
Give him a few raw shelled peas too, that helps clean out the digestive track. Angels seem to all love peas so it should be easy to get him to eat them.

alexmuw

Epsom Salt can also help clean the digestive tract. It's a fish laxative.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

censeoflife

Dude, if it's the fish you got from me it's probably the brine shrimp i fed them that night. Plus a change in diet. Also they where in a low ph tank and I add epsom salt with every water change so where talking soft water too. sorry we forgot to cover some things in when you bought them.

sandnuka

censeoflife - epsom salt will bring up hardness in the water.... so if you added it all the time, water should be incredibly hard. :)

dondud - sorry to hear about the loss.... based on what youve said Im still thinking water had some problems.... I would do 100% water change, and let re-cycle before gettin new fishies. Good luck.