Powerhead or Stronger Airpump (or new filter?)

EthanG

Hey All,

Currently am running a AC20 and a 20-Gallon Rated Sponge filter (cheap one off amazon) on my 20-Long Planted Tank. I have 1x Betta, 8x Neon Tetras, 3x Ottos, 1x Scarlet Badis, and 1x Red Flame Badis.

I'm not sure if it is just not being used to finer substrate (using a coarser sand versus rocks for this tank), but there is alot of visible buildup within a week (My Ottos are poop machines...). When it gets stirred up, I don't really see it getting sucked up by the two filters. A little by the AC20, but not much by the Sponge Filter. Water quality is fine, have not had any spikes since the tank cycled a couple months ago.

The sponge is on a 20-gallon Whisper pump. I've been wondering if its really strong enough, or if I should get something stronger. Either a ~160GPH powerhead (to provide some more flow in general as well) or a bigger pump? Or should I be not wasting money on anything less than a bigger Aqua Clear?

Thoughts?

If your goal is to get waste of the bottom and into/onto the filters I'd try to push/pull more waste into your AC20 (Assuming you aren't running an intake sponge). So I'd be leaning toward the power head or a larger HOB. But that's just me.
I have the same problem with the 20 gallon show tank in my bedroom, but I don't want more flow because my wife's betta doesn't like it, so I'm simply doing the extra cleaning work.