Power Costs

Bob

So comparing my PUD bill for this year over last (when i wasnt keeping fish) it is 33% higher. I know there was a small rate hike but this is a huge jump. Tanks are, 2 55s, 2 40s, 2 20s and a 10 gallon tank. HOB's, heaters, and leds on all of them. I was surprised to find how low the wattage on the HOB filters are. Seems like the heaters are by far the highest cost of operation. I dont run tops on most my tanks, so i am sure i am losing a lot of heat there.

Are there any tricks to help with power consumption? I hate the idea of putting tops on them but i just may have to break down and do it.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
If you use electric heat to heat you home. The no tops adding humidity has had the biggest impact on your bill. Heating moist air is much harder than dry air.

Madness

Staff member
Without tops, I hope that you have a dehumidifier for all that moisture.

My self I have spent all year trying to get my electric bill down, grant it I have about 3000 more gallons than you but the idea is the same. I removed all electric filtration except for an air pump that runs sponges in all of my tanks 125 gal and smaller. True all of your HOBs are low wattage but it still adds up. For instance an average HOB draws around 10-20 watts, you have 7 tanks with at least 1 HOB that is 24/7 140 watts aprx. If you bought 2 large air pumps that ran sponge filters in all of your tanks, that would run you about 25 watts total. Some air pumps are very economical. One thing I do that you probably cant is that I heat my fish room with 1 heater so my fish room is 80+ degrees, so I have no heaters in my tanks. The heaters is where you get nailed and with no tops, Id be willing to bet that your heaters are on 24/7.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I agree with ^ those comments. I would add glass tops. Sorry it's not what you want to hear but it will save you all around in the long run, electric bill and from going through heaters faster from them being on alot more frequently.

Bob

I actually bought glass tops from drfostersmith on black friday. But they dont fit these crappy Petco $1 gallon tetra tanks. Time to modify them.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I think you'd be better off trying to sell them and buy the correct ones. As taking off say 1/4 inch off the glass tops is going to be near impossible with a glass cutter. You'd be better off sanding it down.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ive been taking the energy savings to other areas of the home and replacing out lights we leave on for long periods of time to LED. We have 8 can lights in our kitchen that stay on for quite a few hours per day so these have been one of my first to focus on. Even switching to florescent in other areas just due to the low cost that these are now have been a big help.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Aquarium Co-Op said:
I think you'd be better off trying to sell them and buy the correct ones. As taking off say 1/4 inch off the glass tops is going to be near impossible with a glass cutter. You'd be better off sanding it down.

very true, I wasn't thinking in the aspect of amount cut off. Just how to cut glass.

Madness

Staff member
I have replaced all bulbs and fixtures to LED, and that does help. As for tank lids, if you buy the lids for the 6' 125 gallon with 1 divider from Dr. F&S, you will get 2 tops that fit perfectly on those Petco tanks.

A

Anonymous

I've pretty much done everything possible to become energy efficient. The fact is you are now running motors 24/7 at whatever watts they are. PUD cost is annoying I have to admit. I probably pay at lest $600 per year more than I would without tanks.

Sump: pipes wrapped, sump covered with aquarium towels. Top covered as tightly as possible. Full LED conversation. Using the smallest most efficient circulation pumps possible.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

You guys are lucky that you have PUD as your electric provider.

We are still under PSE (Puget Sound Energy) and they are screwing us over with our electricity bill.

Because I have tanks all around the house, I find it easier to just keep the entire house warmer. But I can get away with that because we have gas for heating the house.

Glass tops, as others have mentioned would be your best bet. And yay for getting glass tops! :-D

dwarfpike

Another trick that has worked well for me in the past is using styrofoam during the winter. Paint one side black, use under the tank as well as the back and both sides. Great insulator, so aren't losing the heat out the glass panes to the cold winter air.

Madness

Staff member
Nice link CMoore.

I am on PSE as well Poke, and you are correct they screw us big time. Whats crazy is that just a couple blocks away they are on Tacoma PUD and their rates are considerable cheaper.

Down with PSE. We need more public utility districts out there. My boyfriend has been wanting to throw PSE out so that we would have something more public. Hahaha. Plans are still brewing though.

Anywho, I also forgot to mention that having a timer for your lights also helps. I'm sure this is common knowledge but sometimes we forget. Hehehe.

hbluehunter

Hey Madness you mentioned you use sponge filters on all your sub 125 setups, just curious what air pump you use ?? I'm running all HOB's on my smaller tanks and would like to switch to a more energy efficient setup.

Madness

Staff member
dleblanc said:
Put solar on your roof, generate your own power - something I've been strongly considering.

When I build my fish room this is exactly how I will be powering it up. Very costly to have installed, but you reap the benefits very quickly. Especially when your fish hobby is costing you $300/month