Porkchop the pearsei - finally an update - lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The large male I had for a while was pretty mean as far as pearsei go. But at times I wonder if Porkchop is a boy because 'she' gave that confirmed male a beatdown and had him hiding in the corner. The only real 'aggression' issue would be at feeding, she will chase off the other fish sometimes.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have not updated the topic of Porkchop in so long... @VickiK had been asking about her too!

So here is a long overdue update. Most of this has been posted regarding the tank upgrade and my bichirs but I felt like I needed to update this topic.

IMG_20160305_151856443.jpg

A little photo edit, trying for a 'fancy' shot of her
pc01 (2).jpg

Always has that inquisitive look about her.
pcm1.jpg

DSC00356.JPG

She loves to 'photo bomb' when its clear Im not paying attention to her

Another photo bomb opportunity

I see her all the time and always underestimate size but last time @lloyd378 was over he thought she was about 16". I still think 14" and real thick but I always underestimate size. I once advertised a 7 1/2" Rhino pleco to sell and when we caught it... it was 11 1/2" lol. So what size is this girl?

Last edited:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU @DMD123 !!

I'm sure these pictures do not do her justice in REAL LIFE. Would it be too greedy to beg for a video? I know. I know. I'm insatiable when Porkchop is concerned. She's the cutest, chubbiest love bug I've ever seen. Promise me someday that I can see her in person! I would like my picture taken with Porkchop. Hey, I've had my picture taken with Murphy! If I ever get to Canada, I plan to stalk Joey and get a picture of me with Frank. lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Pearsei are very rewarding if you have the patience with them. They really take a long time to mature and they have that awkward phase for so long that I think many people just give up. I basically say three years is what is needed for a good adult pearsei.

@lymitliss, my inspiration for Porkchop came from this video:
After seeing the antics of this fish I knew I had to get one.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Pearsei are very rewarding if you have the patience with them. They really take a long time to mature and they have that awkward phase for so long that I think many people just give up. I basically say three years is what is needed for a good adult pearsei.

@lymitliss, my inspiration for Porkchop came from this video:
After seeing the antics of this fish I knew I had to get one.

3 years for a sweet scaled friend. *hug Porkchop*

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Cant believe I didnt close this one out. Porkchop sadly passed away in September of 2019. It was just old age, I know she was at least 10years old. She was a massive 16” at death and one THICK fish.

I moved on and raised some amphilophus but my love for pearsei was always there. July 5, 2021 a new pearsei came to my home again via @Madness. I believe this one to be male. This one is about 11” at the moment and very friendly, even more so than Porkchop. I just hand fed it last night after only having this guy for less than a week.

This was during a water change, fish is as happy as can be
35129A21-96C0-4016-B072-3A44231D6E63.png
DC5B21D6-778F-4765-9AED-D4FAAC4D170D.png
Will need to start new thread for this one. Still need to find a name for him.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I need to start up a new thread for the new pearsei but here is a pic of him adjusting to life in the big tank. Also officially named... Kirby
D24C160F-AC1D-4670-B8BA-13045412C47C.jpeg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I was trolling COTA's facebook page and he posted a video back in March, 2021 where you can see a tank full of adult Pearsi.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Cool video. I cant imagine having more than one… they get huge and make a big tank seem small really quick