Pool Filter Sand

CMooreCichlids

DMD123 said:
Looks good! I like how it turned out.  :spoton: 
Thanks! I picked up some Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red from Aquarium Co-Op, and looking to get more Java Fern and some moss.

The tanks current residents are not the most plant friendly, so I'm looking for hardy plants that can handle the low light of the Satellite +

CMooreCichlids

cichlid-gal said:
Love the look of the pothos running the full length of tank and the fish look great.  Wonderful job on the rescape.
Thank you very much. The pothos can get unwieldy at times, but much less so now that the species of the tank are much smaller. (large cichlids x high nitrate levels = Jumanji!)

The new piece of manzanita is leaching tannins like crazy, which adds another nice dynamic to the tank however I have worries that it might lower my already low PAR readings from the Satellite+ LEDS.

I'm trying to get some low light and very low light plants to help remove the plastic plants from my tank, but we'll see how a partially planted tank works after 2 years of having large cichlids and no plants.

Cheers! :beer: 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
CMooreCichlids said:
I picked up some Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red from Aquarium Co-Op, and looking to get more Java Fern and some moss.

The tanks current residents are not the most plant friendly, so I'm looking for hardy plants that can handle the low light of the Satellite +
I was wondering how it was working with the Silver dollars and the plants....

Missgrumpygills said:
iandraco said:
i usually do about an inch deep sand bed to avoid toxic gas pockets building up. 
Whatt? I'm new to sand, does that happen?
If your sand bed is too deep you run risk of anaerobic pockets forming. These are colonies of bacteria that produce things like methane gas. If a bubble of this stuff gets large enough to erupt it can poison/suffocate your fish, plus it smells terrible. The best way to combat this is to ensure your sand gets mixed enough, either manually using a stick or something, or through things like Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

CMooreCichlids

DMD123 said:
CMooreCichlids said:
I picked up some Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red from Aquarium Co-Op, and looking to get more Java Fern and some moss.

I was wondering how it was working with the Silver dollars and the plants....
So far I've only seen one instance where a Wendtii Red was being nibbled on, and the Java Ferns seem to be left alone.

Pretty soon I'll be thinning the number of silver dollars in the tank, and the plants should have more of a chance to thrive, but right now the plants are low to the substrate and keeping the silver dollars well fed will divert their attention from the plants, in theory anyways.

CMooreCichlids

bronzefighter said:
Missgrumpygills said:
iandraco said:
i usually do about an inch deep sand bed to avoid toxic gas pockets building up. 
If your sand bed is too deep you run risk of anaerobic pockets forming. These are colonies of bacteria that produce things like methane gas. If a bubble of this stuff gets large enough to erupt it can poison/suffocate your fish, plus it smells terrible. The best way to combat this is to ensure your sand gets mixed enough, either manually using a stick or something, or through things like Malaysian Trumpet Snails.
There's currently 4 geophagus Tapajos in the tank that'll help mix the sand up a bit, however I plan on adding a bit of sand stirring to my weekly maintenance to avoid any pockets

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
CMooreCichlids said:
So far I've only seen one instance where a Wendtii Red was being nibbled on, and the Java Ferns seem to be left alone.

Pretty soon I'll be thinning the number of silver dollars in the tank, and the plants should have more of a chance to thrive, but right now the plants are low to the substrate and keeping the silver dollars well fed will divert their attention from the plants, in theory anyways.
I have wanted to try my hand at real plants one day but I dont think they would have a chance. Every plastic plant I own has nibble marks on them.

CMooreCichlids

DMD123 said:
CMooreCichlids said:

I have wanted to try my hand at real plants one day but I dont think they would have a chance. Every plastic plant I own has nibble marks on them.
I have had large red hooks in a tank populated with amazon swords and didn't have any problems with them eating the plants, however they were constantly running for their life because of the lenticulata pikes.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
CMooreCichlids said:
I have had large red hooks in a tank populated with amazon swords and didn't have any problems with them eating the plants, however they were constantly running for their life because of the lenticulata pikes.
LOL - mine have it too easy with a nice peaceful Pearsei. Although the little Red Isletas is giving them a little fun chase.

CMooreCichlids said:
bronzefighter said:
Missgrumpygills said:
iandraco said:
There's currently 4 geophagus Tapajos in the tank that'll help mix the sand up a bit, however I plan on adding a bit of sand stirring to my weekly maintenance to avoid any pockets
Gotcha, Geo's are pretty good at disturbing the sand. I found that stirring up the sand with a stream of water when refilling during water changes is sufficient for me.

CMooreCichlids

DMD123 said:
CMooreCichlids said:
LOL - mine have it too easy with a nice peaceful Pearsei. Although the little Red Isletas is giving them a little fun chase.
Oh yours are living the high life. I think mine where schizophrenic because they never had time to relax, they were fast enough to get away but the pike were constantly after them. I think maybe they left the amazon swords alone because that was the only way to break line of sight!

CMooreCichlids

bronzefighter said:
CMooreCichlids said:
bronzefighter said:
Missgrumpygills said:
iandraco said:
Gotcha, Geo's are pretty good at disturbing the sand. I found that stirring up the sand with a stream of water when refilling during water changes is sufficient for me.
Excellent, thank you for the advice. The sand is very new, and I wouldn't think anything could be building this soon but I'll definitely keep an eye open and see if I can mix things up with the sand.