pool filter sand

Ratlova30

So this is probably going to be a dumb question but I figured better just ask then be sorry later. I bought some PFS, rinsed it out really well, apparently not well enough because the water is cloudy.

Anyways here's my question, does the water normally smell like the sand when it's new. I have sand in all of my tanks, but I've always bought it used and have never smelt such a strong sand smell from the water. I checked the bag and it doesn't appear that there's any chemicals in it. The brand is "Target" and it says it was certified by the national sanitation foundation. I guess where I'm going with this is I just want to make sure there's no chemicals in the sand that can harm the critter. The sandy smell from the water was just a little off putting for me.

sandnuka

Ive never used pool filter sand before... I heard it was good stuff, and havent heard anything about a smell before.... I personally use silica sand from home depot, and even if I dont rinse it I dont get a smell.... it only clouds up if I fill the tank to fast... I always fill slowly, a lil trick I learned when doing soil and flourite planted tanks.

JimA

I originally used that sand but have since changed it our for a different look. I do remember it smelled funky also, but it went away pretty quick. I know there is nothing in it that will harm fish!

Betty

Staff member
I use Target pool filter sand in almost every one of my tanks and I love it. It smells like wet sand when it's in the bucket being rinsed, but I never noticed it after the tanks were filled up with water. I do rinse it really well before it goes in though. wafishbox.com/-pool-filter-sand

Ratlova30

It says... Target filter sand is a specially processed silica sand produced to meet the requirements of filter media sands in conventional or permanent media sand filters.

The filter has been running on the tank for 24hrs. now and it's still cloudy and smells like sand, although not as intense, but I can still smell it. Betty if you have used this brand I feel more comfortable now. I have PFS in my shrimp tank and there's some mixed in with the black sand in my common plecos tank but they're not the same brands and I got it used.

I did rinse the sand prior and the water coming out of the bucket looked clear but... So I'm going to do a water change to see if I can get it to clear faster so that I can get the wood cats in there.

sandnuka

Ratlova30 said:
So I'm going to do a water change to see if I can get it to clear faster so that I can get the wood cats in there.
fill it super slowly this time... you shouldnt have a problem at all with cloudiness..... you could try some carbon in the filters for the smell too.

Ratlova30

A little cloudiness from the sand dust won't hurt the fish will it?

Just did a 10gal water change on a 46gal tank and not much difference. I'll continue doing water changes but I really need to get the wood cats into this aquarium ASAP. Their in my new HRP's tank right now and the HRP's have to chill in the QT tank until the wood cats move out.

Betty

Staff member
Cloudiness shouldn't be a problem and doing a big water change along with a careful refilling should take care of it.

The first time I used the sand, I hadn't rinsed it well enough and it was super cloudy, so I did a 99% water change (no fish were in the tank yet) and stirred that sand up while I was draining. I added a little more water as it was nearing empty and continued draining. Then it was clear when I refilled it.

JimA

If your using a HOB you might turn it off till it settles a bit if bad. Grit is not real good for those as i am sure you know?

Ratlova30

Oh it wasn't bad, just slightly cloudy. The fish were put in last night and all is well. Changed out 20gal last night and I'll do another 20gals tonight. To me it's looking a little less cloudy.