pond canister filter?

Ripley71

I have an Ultima 1000 pond filter in my garage that was once used to house koi for the winter years ago. Could I use it to filter a 120 gallon planted tank? Or would it be too much?

Cole

I have an Ultima 1000 pond filter in my garage that was once used to house koi for the winter years ago. Could I use it to filter a 120 gallon planted tank? Or would it be too much?

Are you referring to the Aqua Ultaviolet Ultima II bead filter?

Ripley71

I believe & treats 500 - 1000 gallons. Just thought if I could recycle a filter.....could be too loud, need more equipment or just not right?

Cole

I believe & treats 500 - 1000 gallons. Just thought if I could recycle a filter.....could be too loud, need more equipment or just not right?

20151020_102948.jpg

If this is the filter you're referring to, it will need an external pump to run it. I'm thinking it'll be too much to run on a 120 gallon tank. We run one on a 600 gallon tank and it takes quite a bit of water to properly backwash and rinse the media inside. I would say it uses around 100-150 gallons minimum to backwash until it runs clear on our system. We do house a messy turtle though, so we backwash the system twice a week, minimum. I'm working on installing a better mechanical filter prior to the Ultima, because it doesn't do the best job on filtering out really fine particulates.

Ripley71

Yes, that is definitely it. Sounds like it won't work then. Trying to figure out what kind of filter to use. Now I might consider a sump, however my tank isn't drilled on the bottom. It will be a planted tank anyways.

zach_discus

Yes, that is definitely it. Sounds like it won't work then. Trying to figure out what kind of filter to use. Now I might consider a sump, however my tank isn't drilled on the bottom. It will be a planted tank anyways.
Would you like to sell the bead filter?