Plecomania the untold story

Madness

Staff member
I am setting up a refugium style sump using perot foam. The drain water will flow through a combination of small pea sized rocks and then through larger rocks before it flows into the refugium/sump. Through 3 more chambers, one of them being full of foam media, the next will be where all the plants will be located, then into the pump chamber where a 3000gph pump will pump it back into the tank. The water has to lift a good 7 feet so the flow will probably be closer to 2400gph. I have a lot of the wood i want to use as well as several pleco caves.

BUT, if i am going to try and breed the 397s, 398 and/or a couple others i may need to set up another tank because the main tank will be for the bigger Loricariidae.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Well heck, i thought that i posted it, my bad. :)

I am going to try something different when it comes to color. I've seen several use a black substrate some others an orangeish red substrate. I'm going to try:
View attachment 8910

So we will see how it turns out. I need to finish the plumbing under the tank but the 75 that i have temporarily, is in the way. So, when i am back from Arizona i will be draining the 75 and temporarily relocating it so that i can finish this pleco tank. Which i better hurry up and complete and get it going, i have several plecos on there way and figured i will QT them all in their "new home" tank.
Where in AZ? I spent 8yrs in the Show Low area.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
That looks like Garnet sand. This is what poly/bichir user like to put in their tanks. It really make the polys stripes and patterns 'pop'. Most use the red but I know a few using purple. Very cool natural substrate yet brightish colored.

Madness

Staff member
That looks like Garnet sand. This is what poly/bichir user like to put in their tanks. It really make the polys stripes and patterns 'pop'. Most use the red but I know a few using purple. Very cool natural substrate yet brightish colored.
Yep it is, we will see how it turns

Madness

Staff member
Picked up 4 L397s this past weekend, hopefully i can find a couple more from a different line soon. Also have 4 newbies on the way. Pics soon.

With these newbs on their way i really need to get to crakalackin on this pleco tank. Not to mention getting this loach tank done as well, i have 10 more (syncrossus hymenophysa) on the way as well.

Madness

Staff member
Added a couple plants to the tank as well as the sump. Water has been flowing for a couple of days now. Going to throw in here a couple of amphs just to help keep the cycling going.

I am contemplating throwing in here my group of 8 Mesaheros gypherus, which i will need to eventually remove when they reach about 5", or order me in some smaller SA species that would most likely stay in the tank. :thumbsdown

Anyway, here is the tank so far
20210604_201551.jpg20210604_201538.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
You might have posted this elsewhere but what can lights are you using? I might consider doing the same thing in my fishroom.

Madness

Staff member
Tank is doing quite well so far, added 3 L114s and an L014 a couple days ago. They are all only 1.5" so they could be anywhere in the tank. Looking to possibly place an order soon with freshwater exotics to pic up about a dozen more. Here is a lucky timing shot of the 01420210607_152037.jpg

Madness

Staff member
Ordered up some more today. 2 of the 128s (blue phantom), and 2 of the 200s (green phantom). They will be here Tuesday. This will bring the total to 8. Still several more to get. :)

Madness

Staff member
Here is the most recent addition, an L02420210930_182004.jpg

The L600 is far to small to see in the tank with wood, but here it is in the bag. I think it is going to have nice color20210930_165910.jpg

The wet spot just got in some L024 & L025, guess what I'm ordering :) Screenshot_20211001-221231_Email.jpg