Pleco ideas, need help picking…

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking for some pleco ideas from you more experienced pleco keepers.

Tank #1 is a 90 gallon, currently housing about an 8” Bumblebee Oscar. He pays no attention to the 5” bristle nose male and L001 juvenile sailfin. In no way do I want to keep two pleco in there and hate the territorial behavior from the bristle nose. I love the look of the L001 but hate the 12” potential size. Looking to rehome both in favor of a midsize pleco in the 6”-8” range that would be a good clean up fish. Was thinking a green phantom or an L200…. Thoughts?

Tank #2 65B currently in the planning process. Definitely want a group of marble hoplo cats. Maybe 5 total. Might try a super red sev or something along that line as the main focus fish. Looking for a good pleco for this tank too… again wanting the L200 but just looking for ideas.

So any other plecos that will work would be appreciated. Good all purpose cleaners that will eat some algae and do some nice clean up.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
From my experience, lots of years but not much variety, I don’t think you’ll find better algae munching plecos than the sailfin or the BN. I use both regularly in my tanks to combat algae growth…..in fact, I believe all but one of my tanks currently have one or the other in them currently. I have also thought about branching out to other plecos, but and have even tried in the past, but always come back to these two standards for me.

AP had some cool looking plecos recently, but I didn’t pull the trigger. Sailfins ( the marbled looking ones) are actually my favorite. I’m going to be getting another one soon, when I can source one!

I think madness may be one of the most knowledgable in plecos and he’s who I would turn to…. Good luck!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I think that any of the male ancistrus sp that would be in that range are going to display some level of territorial aggression. Female might not be as aggressive.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve got two of the bristle nosed, a male + female albino from @fishguy1978 and they are pretty peaceful in the 46 gallon bowfront but the regular male in the 75 is mean! Territorial enough that I have seen it go at the cichlid tankmates its had, lol.

I used to have an L114 which is a favorite of mine but not a good clean up/algae eater.

Madness

Staff member
Looking for some pleco ideas from you more experienced pleco keepers.

Tank #1 is a 90 gallon, currently housing about an 8” Bumblebee Oscar. He pays no attention to the 5” bristle nose male and L001 juvenile sailfin. In no way do I want to keep two pleco in there and hate the territorial behavior from the bristle nose. I love the look of the L001 but hate the 12” potential size. Looking to rehome both in favor of a midsize pleco in the 6”-8” range that would be a good clean up fish. Was thinking a green phantom or an L200…. Thoughts?

Tank #2 65B currently in the planning process. Definitely want a group of marble hoplo cats. Maybe 5 total. Might try a super red sev or something along that line as the main focus fish. Looking for a good pleco for this tank too… again wanting the L200 but just looking for ideas.

So any other plecos that will work would be appreciated. Good all purpose cleaners that will eat some algae and do some nice clean up.
Unfortunately you're not going to find anything to be a cleanup fish better than the two you have. Though the L200 which is the green Phantom prefers a vegetable diet you will not have good results with it taking care of any kind of algae. The rubber lipped pleco we'll take care of algae but in my opinion not too attractive. You also have Siamese algae eaters, otos, snails, shrimp, mollies, those will help you but I don't think that is what you're looking for. Unfortunately if you're looking for a cool pleco you probably won't get the results you would like.

On a side note if the L001 you have is actually the Joselimaianus, i would be very interested in it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @Madness, I'm probably going to be at Wet Spot today. I will see what follows me home.

As to the pleco, it is the L001. Its very small still at about 4" or so. I love it's pattern but the potential size is a concern.

Madness

Staff member
As to the pleco, it is the L001. Its very small still at about 4" or so. I love it's pattern but the potential size is a concern.
I plan on moving it from tank to tank which is why I want one that stays 12in and smaller. Let me know when you're willing to part with it and I will take it away

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They say they have albino hoplo cats in stock but I want to see the pleco's they have too. They say L200 in stock but I prefer the hi fin variety.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
No hoplo cats! The online info was wrong. I was going to Portland anyway so not an issue but really want my hoplo group as soon as I can. I did get an L200 green phantom pleco. Not quite sure if it will end up with the oscar in the 90 or in the 65B when I set that one up… I really like the look of the L001 and maybe I should just keep it with the oscar and either move the aggressive BN pleco in with the red wolf or rehome it. A few decisions ahead and other possibilities for different pleco with the 46 bowfront in the upcoming future.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
New pleco was hiding behind the large driftwood this morning but looked alive and well. I dont think the male bristle nose went at him. For some reason the albino male is pretty calm whereas the regular male in the 90 has always been very territorial.

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
This is my favorite type of sailfin… I like this pattern. They used to be called marble sailfins but I haven’t heard what they are called (nicknamed) anymore…..

AD4E3119-ECAC-4A63-A2F9-D526AA371C1D.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
but I haven’t heard what they are called (nicknamed) anymore…..
I have to chuckle a bit about that but I think when I got it from Midway, it was labeled as an "Asian Horned pleco". Maybe partly right in that it was likely farmed overseas. I have heard them called 'horned' pleco too, due to the fleshy appendages. I like the L number or Latin names the best but even then you get misidentified fish still.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, since you have a red wolf too, what are your thoughts on a pleco tankmate? Specifically a 5" adult male bristle nose with attitude and a big territorial complex...

Ive heard that it can be done...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, since you have a red wolf too, what are your thoughts on a pleco tankmate? Specifically a 5" adult male bristle nose with attitude and a big territorial complex...

Ive heard that it can be done...
My wolf is well fed and leaves my fast swimming tetras and giant danios alone. I also have a 6” female bn, a 3” male bn, and some 4 line pictus cats in with it.

The only time it seems to kill is when it’s hungry or when I had some slow swimming cichlids in the tank that would sleep at the bottom at night…. I’d find mouth sized chunks bitten out of their tails.

Currently, I haven’t experienced a death with him in about 3-4 weeks.

The wood pieces I have in the tank also allow for the plecos to hide in nooks and crannies so they sleep safely at night.