PLEASE HELP - FX5

TerenceH

I have hooked up to my 120 with built in overflow. I am having all kinds of issues with it and just can not get it to work. And it is LOUD to boot. It is plumbed correctly. I have taken it apart several times and I have also taken apart the motor and cleaned it very well. Everyone talks about how great this thing is but I am having serious issues with mine. PLEASE HELP!!!

hbluehunter

Is this a new one or a used one you bought ?? What kind of issues are we talking about ?? I know I had issues with one of my motor units and called Hagen and they shipped me a new one no questions asked.

hbluehunter

Hmm I never had an issue with mine being loud except when I got sand in the impeller, then I just pulled the motor off and cleaned it out good and all was good.. As far as the aqua stops maybe pull the gaskets off and put a little lube on them, they should slip on easier then.. I know sometimes mine can be a pain too.

TerenceH

I took it apart and cleaned it very well. I just spoke with fluval and they said it can not any dip of any kind in the hose. Mine has a swag in it but no loop. Should that matter?

hbluehunter

It might have something to do with it but not sure.. I cut all my hoses so I have no dips or anything like that.. Also check your fitting to make sure they're air tight and you aren't sucking in air into your system.. That could be part of your issue too.

Gryphon

Pre-fill the canister before you turn it on, and try rocking it slight back and forth to help any air bubbles come free. Is it moving any water at all?

aaronfeeney

mine has a little dip in the hoses, but its fine, the instructions say to fill canister with a minimum of 2.5 gallons, prior to start up.

TerenceH

I fill it completely... This is the tank that has the built in overflow. So it is plumbed to the bulkheads at the bottom of the tank. It is crazy loud. I am at the back of my house and can still hear it.

larry.beck

I also find I need to fill the hoses to ensure a quick, easy start up if the unit hasn't been filled. But from what you've said you have a bottom of tank bulkhead that you're plumbed to. If that's the case then the water pressure alone should be enough to fill the canister and hose, pushing the air out of the return line into the tank.

What does you return line look like? Because you mentioned "bottom of tank" but also "overflow". I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't plumbed correctly?

All the canisters ive used are only Loud when there is air trapped in the system, does your overflow alllow the water to cascade in to the tubing , cause if it pushes air in with the water that might be the cause of your issue

larry.beck

The FX5 will automatically purge air, the pump will literally shut off for 60 seconds to allow the air to settle and then expel it through the return line. So if air is the culprit then either the return should be pumping a ton of air bubbles into the tank -or- there's nothing coming out the return and the canister is, effectively, unprimed.

larry.beck

So you have a corner overflow with 2 holes, 1 for supply and 1 for return? The return line is plumbed up and out of the overflow tower, right?

GilbertonFisher

I'm not sure if you took the pictures while the pump was running but I see a huge air bubble in the line nearest 'us' with tygon you might have to squish it together slightly to get the air to move through. I'm sorry you're having trouble, that blows