Plants from the group buy

Betty

Staff member
A couple of pictures of the anubias -- thanks to icer711 for arranging the order. :D The plants were really nice ones!

They are temporarily in my 20 gallon, but this will give you an idea of the size. They are bigger than I expected and I hope to keep them alive and maybe even get them to grow. I'm really bad at keeping live plants, so any advice will be appreciated. I know not to plant them in the soil and I'm planning to anchor them to wood or between rocks.

60ef6f1f.jpg

08b2b3b6.jpg

icer711

wow those defiantly are amazing kinda making me want to do plants

im glad you like them we will defiantly have to do this again for everyone :D

Salzabar

Yummy looking Anas. Tie them to wood and watch the roots grow around it and keep the lights on for about 20 hours a day (if thats possible) for the first 2 weeks. For some reason it makes the leaves a nice dark green color as long as the water stays 7.0 PH. You can ad some iron to the water (very little) to help with the coloration. It comes as a trace element liquid usually in a eye dropper bottle. Its been years since I bought some but you can find it better nurseries and some pet stores. Once the iron is in the tank it doesn't leave-sorta like salt. It has to be absorbed by the plants or water changes. Good luck!

icer711

Betty if you cant find and need some let me know cause she sells the liquid iron (Iron Chelate 13%) i think i gave you the link though

Betty

Staff member
Well, I knew it wouldn't take long for me to start killing these plants. :shock:

Any plant keepers know what is happening here? I had some Seachem Flourish so I've been adding a little of that instead of iron. Keeping the lights on for about 12 hours a day. I haven't checked the pH lately, but I'm sure it's over 7.0. The only fish are three leleupi and a bristlenose pleco.

25b688a0.jpg

sandnuka

what you using for lights betty?? anubius I think are a low light plant... maybe what you got is overkill??? thats my best guess.

Betty

Staff member
I thought maybe I didn't have enough light. It's just a standard single tube light - think it's a T8.

And yes, I was wondering about the pleco as well. I was hoping that someone might recognize this problem and be able to tell me. I've had bristlenose with plants before and have never seen a leaf look like this. Usually they just turn brown and fall off. :(

censeoflife

I can see scrunge marks from your pleco in the leaf above. I see the same marks in the algae on the tank sides all the time.

I have also seen anubis do just fine under really good lights, so I wouldnt worry about that.

Betty

Staff member
censeoflife said:
I can see scrunge marks from your pleco in the leaf above.
Why that little... :evil:

Guess I'll move the plant to a different tank and see how it does. Thank you.