Plants for cichlid tank?

lars on

I kno\/\/ they ill tear them up for fun, eat them, push em around, but I\/e found a couple hardier plants that can take the ph le\/els, and \/\/as \/\/ondering if anyone kne\/\/ of any others?

\/\/hat I ha\/e found:
Ja\/a Fern
Ja\/a Moss
Anubias
\/\/ater sprite
Hygrophilia
\/allisneria

Any suggestions or tips \/\/ould be greatly appreciated :)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
what type of cichlids? Africans tend to not disturb plants if setup correctly.

A

Anonymous

i think the only thing that would work is the java ferns. everything else will just get torn up by cichlids.

lars on

tropheus, I kno they are grazers, and maybe a front. I ould be edging the plants into like 40lbs of dead rock, like ANCHORED in

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience, at Conway Tropical Fish, with our Tropheus dubs, we intentionally move any plants that have algae into the tank. As they're algae eaters, not plant eaters. I have no problems with Tropheus eating plants. They will move them however, so either anchoring them with rocks, or using water column feeders such as java fern, anubias, bolbitus heudolotti etc.

lars on

I as actually thinking of trying to get moss to gro on the driftood, ho fast you think that ould get eaten?

IceBerg

lars on said:
I as actually thinking of trying to get moss to gro on the driftood, ho fast you think that ould get eaten?
Larson you really don't have a W on your keyboard? I thought you were joking! I’m sure someone has an extra keyboard laying around the house, I know I do. :D

lars on

IM NOT KIDDING lol, my exclamation marks are gone, my kue's, \/\/'s and \/'s lol, and 123 on the top ): Bot im gettin a keyboard from spy soon.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ice you are doing plants to :D COUGH EM UP List off a fe that like harder ph

IceBerg

lars on said:
IM NOT KIDDING lol, my exclamation marks are gone, my kue's, \/\/'s and \/'s lol, and 123 on the top ): Bot im gettin a keyboard from spy soon.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm starting a planted tank. I still need to order my plants and hopefully my two 24" All-Glass Versa-Top Twin Tubes will be in on Thursday . If you have questions on which plants would do well in the higher pH ranges, I would contact http://www.sweetaquatics.com/. Mary is super nice, and will have all the answers for you. :D

lars on

IceBerg said:
lars on said:
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm starting a planted tank. I still need to order my plants. If you have any questions on which plants would do well in the higher pH range I will contact http://www.sweetaquatics.com/. Mary is super nice, and will have all the answers for your. :D
OOO: THANKIS YOU

I definately \/\/ill

sandnuka

I have personally met cory, take his advice... Ive seen there tropheus tank, AWESOME!! actually that tank is probably what really made me fall in love with tropheus duboisi. Im gonna disagree with teddy, I dont think they will touch the moss, and like cory said they wont eat your plants, so your good to go! just anchor them down like the plan was, so they dont get moved around and uprooted.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking this morning, there is one plant I have found that they will eat. Duckweed, which I consider to be a good thing lol.

A

Anonymous

I don't even have a plastic plant in any of my tanks..lol.

sandnuka

LOOK WHAT I FOUND LARS!!!!! tropheus in a NPT (natural planted tank)

plante10.gif

A

Anonymous

OMG that is beautiful, i never thought cichlids could live with plants, or i should say plants live with cichlids lol. all my cichlids ive ever had tore up every single plant and every one has told me it can not be done