planted native tank?

pbmax

I keep meaning to try collecting from the bogs near where I work. A co-worker and I regularly go walking past them at lunch. There are some interesting-looking plants that grow both emersed and submersed right next to the walking paths. If I finally end up grabbing some, I'll post some photos.

vance1013

pbmax said:
I keep meaning to try collecting from the bogs near where I work.  A co-worker and I regularly go walking past them at lunch.  There are some interesting-looking plants that grow both emersed and submersed right next to the walking paths.  If I finally end up grabbing some, I'll post some photos.
That would be cool, I'm very interested in learning more of our plants here, im thinking I might substitute water moss for java moss, im not sure where I could find water moss at

vance1013

ok nevermind after a little digging into the water moss Fontinalis antipyretica turns out its also known as willow moss easily bought online funny how weve got similar plants in our backyards

cichlid-gal

vance1013 said:
so after studying the list of native fish here for Washington for a few hours the most common one small enough and is  country wide, ive come up with is Gambusia affinis, mosquito fish, any thoughts on that
Gambusia is not on the invasive list but is on the regulated list

Animal Fish
Family: Poecilidae
Classification: Regulated

Mosquito Fish
Mosquito fish
The virtues of the mosquito fish, Gambusia affinis, have been extolled by many mosquito control organizations. However, the species can be a major pest when introduced outside their natural range. In addition to eating mosquito larvae they eat a variety of other insect larvae, zooplankton and aquatic plants. They are aggressive and have been known to feed on eggs, larvae, and juveniles of various native fishes and amphibians. Because of these negative impacts, Gambusia is a regulated species in Washington State, and cannot be introduced without a fish stocking permit. Under current WDFW policy, transfer/stocking permits may only be issued to organized Mosquito Control Districts, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and city, county or state health departments, they may not be issued to private individuals. It is prohibited to stock Gambusia in Clallam, Jefferson, Kitsap, Grays Harbor, Mason and Thurston and portions of Lewis County that drain into the Chehalis river to protect the Olympic mud minnow.

I think that being on the regulated list would just mean be super careful with them. It says you cannot introduce the fish without a stocking permit but I also would not think you need a stocking permit for an aquarium (I could be wrong though) but I would think you might need a permit for a pond possibly? All these rules and regulations make assumptions that we laymen know what all these terms and such apply to...but at least we are trying to learn also. A call to the Department of Ecology or Fish and Wildlife might clear things up.

cichlid-gal

pbmax said:
I keep meaning to try collecting from the bogs near where I work.  A co-worker and I regularly go walking past them at lunch.  There are some interesting-looking plants that grow both emersed and submersed right next to the walking paths.  If I finally end up grabbing some, I'll post some photos.
Living in the country "ditches" abound. I'll have to stop more often and scout them for interesting plants and such. There was one thing I came across in my readings about "native plants" and that's they can bring with them "native pests" into your aquarium. The article I was reading was someone that had a tropical tank and introduced "native" plants. They blamed the plants on bringing disease into the tank via some form of parasite. I'm not sure about this or if it could happen but it is something to consider depending on your investment in your "native" tank as some native fish are not cheap.

pbmax

That's an excellent point - never put anything wild-collected into your tanks without taking precautions or at least being aware of the possible consequences.

I plan to identify the plant, then maybe add it to one of my emersed grow tubs.

vance1013

Those are very good points I will give those departments a cal to get more info, with further plants if I collect I'll take extra precautions if I can't find them online, then I'll collect would s hydrogen peroxide dip a good measure in sanitizing these plants then if I do collect more

Anthraxx

out of all that all i got was olympic mud minnow, now i want to head out to my buddies and try to track some down for giggles.

pbmax

... and by "identify", I mean post photos of it and see if anyone here knows what it is :D

I grabbed some while out walking today.  It's a stem plant that looks somewhat similar to bacopa, but I'm pretty sure it's not.  Anyone??

I took photos of it still in the bag since I'm still at work and didn't want to make a muddy mess.

vance1013

Hmm I'm not sure was it floating I'd take a look through the list of plants and start looking at pics I've seen the plant before I just don't remember where or the name

pbmax

I'm pretty sure this is the stuff - the collection area looked exactly like other wide angle photos I found via bing.

Edit: WA doesn't consider it invasive, in fact they seem to say it's important for fish habitat and as a food source for ducks.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/plants/plantid2/descriptions/calsta.html

Edit Edit: This is more or less what it looked like where I collected it:

Callitriche_stagnalis_Habitus_2010-8-14_FuenteLaNava.jpg

Callitriche_stagnalis_86f56d6e.jpg

vance1013

Very interesting that's a cool looking plant what do you plan on doing with it oh and update I've ordered willow moss and added some of my salvinia minima to the tank since I needed to spread it out I'm still on the hunt for the cabomba I'll get pics soon once my willow moss comes in

pbmax

I think I'll give it a shot in my emersed setup first, after a hydrogen peroxide bath to reduce hitchhikers.