planted native tank?

vance1013

So the last few days I've been researching native tanks I'm considering doing a native tank, what I would like is anybody's input and or experience with this, as far as plants go I want to keep Washington native plants I've been researching Washington's native plants the last couple days so far what I've seen this state has more aquatic plants than I realized I usually come across milfoil when im out fishing which I know is invasive and not native. Also I'm still researching fish which would be good for a 10G any advice or pics ideas would be much appreciated

A

Anonymous

Sounds like an interesting project vance1013. I'll be following the thread to see what develops. Are you going to go random, or choose a biotope like Wash river, Lake, swamp? I am sure they all have specific plants that only grows with each individual biotope along with common species each biotope share.

A

Anonymous

You know now that I think of it there is a member here that may have some interesting insight. She isn't on much these days but still answers PM's. She's very cool and has some wicked native fish like the Sculpin (I think that's how to spell it). Anyway, her screen name is Kaosu.

vance1013

I was thinking a lake biotope since I haven't seen much in the way of plants in our river systems, yes I know the laws about collecting fish, I had planned on researching what species we have here in the state that are common else where in the US and ordering them online

cichlid-gal

fishNAbowl said:
You know now that I think of it there is a member here that may have some interesting insight. She isn't on much these days but still answers PM's. She's very cool and has some wicked native fish like the Sculpin (I think that's how to spell it). Anyway, her screen name is Kaosu.
swamp-rat is another option for speaking with someone.  Kat actually did the speaker talk for the GSAS Native Fish talk.  Lots of great information.  

As for plants...there is a book called An Aquatic Plant Identification Manual for Washington's Freshwater Plants.  Do a search on it and I think you can find an on-line copy.  It can also be ordered in hard copy format (I did this and ordered an extra which I used for a GSAS purpose)...its a great book.  It discusses collection of plants and things to consider.  It also identifies plants by shoreline, floating, submersed, submerged...etc.  And it will help you identify sensitive, threatened, and endangered species.

Have fun with this project.  I can't wait to see how it develops.

vance1013

interesting cichladgal, ill have to look that up probably order the hard copy, I didn't know there was a book like that I'm glad there is lol

vance1013

thank you hobby for that link I've come across similar lists in my research so far that link will be very usefull

cichlid-gal

We were recently on vacation and stopped at Fort Simco on the Yakima Indian Reservation.  They had a natural spring in the park...it was beautiful.  I think I took more pics of the spring than the other stuff.  Anyway...here are some of the plants we saw.  We didn't see any fish but really only the start of the spring was visible and where it pooled further down was not accessible to foot traffic.

We didn't do any collecting here as this is a State Park and I was uncertain about what restrictions might exist on "park" land.  I would also wonder about any locations that are State owned or Federally owned but I would think any private property would be fine for collection so long as what you are collecting is not illegal or endangered in some way.

vance1013

Fontinalis antipyretica, Elodea nuttallii, Cabomba caroliniana Gray, fanwort im thinking these 3 plants should do since its a 10g I wont need much before it would all fill out, I actually already have some elodea nuttalli it came in on my fishing gear this morning I recognized as a native plant ill get a picture shortly

vance1013

this is my that I have already had the sand and hardscape in quite awhile ago

ill have a pic a little later once my kids wake up from their nap I refilled it and added those elodea earlier today

Denizaari

Sorry, I forgot to write the rest of my post and hit send.

This guide is very descriptive and informative. I have it save on my home screen so I can read a little each week.
Good luck!!!

vance1013

I got those pics used my wifes phone it takes hell of a lot better picture than mine lol

I know its dirty been empty for a bit need to do a good vacuum and scrub rocks

vance1013

so after studying the list of native fish here for Washington for a few hours the most common one small enough and is country wide, ive come up with is Gambusia affinis, mosquito fish, any thoughts on that

vance1013

cichlid-gal said:
We were recently on vacation and stopped at Fort Simco on the Yakima Indian Reservation.  They had a natural spring in the park...it was beautiful.  I think I took more pics of the spring than the other stuff.  Anyway...here are some of the plants we saw.  We didn't see any fish but really only the start of the spring was visible and where it pooled further down was not accessible to foot traffic.

We didn't do any collecting here as this is a State Park and I was uncertain about what restrictions might exist on "park" land.  I would also wonder about any locations that are State owned or Federally owned but I would think any private property would be fine for collection so long as what you are collecting is not illegal or endangered in some way.
that is what I found out ive read some rules that I could find private property would be the way to go, I would just have to indentify and be careful not to over collect also, what I read is that there is permits you can get but from what ive read that permit is for is helping keep invasive and over abundance of invasive species under control