Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania"

Bob

Couple shots of my new Phenochilus, 2 pair. Only about 3-4 inches so they haven't colored up to their full potential yet.

P1030127_zpsxvmmtx5o.jpg

P1030123_zpsz0omqd6u.jpg

P1030129_zps59dtudar.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking good! What size do they max out at? They look pretty colorful already

mickyfree

In the wild they might reach 8-10 inches. In tanks they rarely get bigger than 7.5". still will reach their full potential with the chipping though.

Bob

Now that they are settled in, their colors have really started to show. Quickly becoming one of my favorite fish.

Bob

I have about 6 different varieties of Spirulina flake and mix it up during the week. Once a week ill give them bloodworm flake or earthworm flake.

mickyfree

Once the male starts to chip you will love them even more. they are amazing to watch. How big is your group? and in what size tank?

Bob

The males are up to about 4 inches and the females are a little smaller, i have 2 males and 2 females. They are housed in a 75 gallon with 4 Iodotropheus sprengerae rusty that are 2-3 inches, and a handful of haplochromis ruby green. Once they get upwards of 6 inches or so i will be moving them into my 125 gallon.

Ali

Mickyfree you mention "chipping" and "chipping up", those are terms I've never heard before. What does it mean?

Betty

Staff member
Ali said:
Mickyfree you mention "chipping" and "chipping up", those are terms I've never heard before. What does it mean?
Ali, do an image search and you'll see how beautiful they are when they reach their mature adult coloration. They get "spots" on them. The pics will show what chips or speckles or splotches or whatever term is used means. :)

Jeeperman

Very nice Betty. I have just added one of these to my grow out tank. He is just about 4 inches and so far has 3-4 chips. Should be a fun fish to watch mature.