Picked up a mysterious guarami today at Martin Henry’s

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
F22C0FF5-4BE0-4CA3-AF49-297FBC381CE9.jpeg FF85FADC-FF05-45AF-807A-BCD80B754DC4.jpeg I once again added a member to my community tank.... my son and I went to Martin Henry’s today to get crickets again, and I found that they had these two mystery guarami that I have not ever seen before. They looked like an opaline gaurami but black with blue in their fins.
I only purchased 1 since they appeared to be squabbling with each other ( but neither had any damage)

Here is a picture of him, now being in my tank fro only 10 minutes. I assume the dark blacks he was showing in the store will come back very soon as I think he will need a few days to get comfortable in my tank.

they didn’t know which species these guys were as they got them in labeled as misc. guarami with some blue and golden guarami too. I’m hoping to do some research tonight to figure out which type it is, but I’m stoked to add it to my tank.

side note: I will probably be heading back there soon as they told me they should be getting in some discuss in the near future and I would like to check them out ( their prices are always reasonable).

Here it is....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, thats a great looking fish! Looks like a blue or opaline on steroids.

How is it doing with the angels. Heard sometimes the gourami and angels sometimes have issues.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, thats a great looking fish! Looks like a blue or opaline on steroids.

How is it doing with the angels. Heard sometimes the gourami and angels sometimes have issues.
So far so good.... my angels are quite a bit larger so who knows

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Nice, did they have any bichirs? I keep calling them on their list but keep getting the around
No bichirs, fish stalk was low but they told me they are getting an order early next week. They also said they are slowing attempting to add more tanks to increase their selection but they don’t want to bring in too many and be stuck with fish that don’t sell

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Just realize my phone corrected stock to stalk... oops. Haha

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
So it hasn’t returned to it’s almost black coloring I saw in the shop... wondering if that was actually mating behavior I saw between the two. Here are two pics from tonight..... the only blue it’s showing is in the fins

9C5A3798-DA76-4D56-904E-11A793BC350B.jpeg 4F11B772-6495-4D69-B008-F4206DADBCD8.jpeg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
So it hasn’t returned to it’s almost black coloring I saw in the shop... wondering if that was actually mating behavior I saw between the two. Here are two pics from tonight..... the only blue it’s showing is in the fins.

I'm thinking that the appearance in your tank is their normal coloration, and the dark pigment in the shop was due to stress ...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking that the appearance in your tank is their normal coloration, and the dark pigment in the shop was due to stress ...
Agreed ...it was that or breeding color.... I haven’t found any info online for opaline “like” guarami so I’ll just consider this one an opaline minus the blues

he does appear to be rather peaceful and completely leaves my smaller / younger Pearl guarami alone

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the ones in the tank and one was very dominant and aggressive toward the others, so I avoided it. I picked a calm one with nice color. So far its a bit shy but not doing anything bad. My tank still looks empty!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, I stopped by Martin Henry's today to drop off my 3 black Kuhli loaches and I watched the gourami that we got. The one that was aggressive yesterday looks to be male and seems to have paired off with a female. Looking at the elongated top fin on yours and seeing the colors, I would think you have a male. The one I picked up has a less defined top fin and color but thicker, so guess is I have a female.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, I stopped by Martin Henry's today to drop off my 3 black Kuhli loaches and I watched the gourami that we got. The one that was aggressive yesterday looks to be male and seems to have paired off with a female. Looking at the elongated top fin on yours and seeing the colors, I would think you have a male. The one I picked up has a less defined top fin and color but thicker, so guess is I have a female.
Hey, mine only has two spots... do they consider the eye a third spot?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Gourami's are really cool fishes. I've never really kept them seriously, but have always admired them. I particularly like the little ones, but the Pearl Gourami is also a favourite-

View attachment 7629
I have one of these too.... it is smaller than my lavender 3 spot guarami ( if that’s what it is), and neither of them show any aggression toward each other.... but with a 75g and multiple other fish, maybe they get distracted