Photography...Cinematography... Beginner...Pro... Anything Goes!

bronzefighter said:
Man, I need to "legally" acquire photoshop now that I've upgraded my computer. I used to really be into medium format film, and have probably spent well over $1000 on Polaroid film. I have a huge collection of ecletic cameras, ranging from Kodak Starflex to Canon AE-1. My most prized one is a gorgous Polaroid SX-70 Model 1 with a matching leather case.

Though, my daily driver is a beatup Rebel XTi with different lenses.

My favorite is my Sunex 185 degree fisheye. I can create a full spherical panorama with only 2 shots  :D 
joey-shocked-face-o.gif

PokeSephiroth said:
bronzefighter said:
Man, I need to "legally" acquire photoshop now that I've upgraded my computer. I used to really be into medium format film, and have probably spent well over $1000 on Polaroid film. I have a huge collection of ecletic cameras, ranging from Kodak Starflex to Canon AE-1. My most prized one is a gorgous Polaroid SX-70 Model 1 with a matching leather case.

Though, my daily driver is a beatup Rebel XTi with different lenses.

My favorite is my Sunex 185 degree fisheye. I can create a full spherical panorama with only 2 shots  :D 
joey-shocked-face-o.gif
Here's an example (it's great fun at parties :D)

Durrr I just realized you were talking about the film... I don't think I have any of those uploaded right now. I need to get a proper scanner so I can start archiving them  :lol:

plus that stuff ain't cheap! on a good day film for my Spectra equaled out to at least $1 for every picture!

I fiddle with my camera from time to time.  I enjoy macro, mainly flowers and some nature photography.  I don't own or understand how to edit my photos

1240631_732766090085363_1025888730_n.jpg

553696_732765246752114_1856839287_n.jpg

1375957_737298019632170_486517971_n.jpg

1378683_737354109626561_400733203_n.jpg

MRTom

hobbyorobsession said:
so your over all impression of the lensbaby is that its more novelty or can you crank out some decent photos with it?
With my half frame camera, I can't really take advantage of the lensbaby. And the fact that it is full manual really limits what you can do with it! I mean, you gotta switch plates to adjust aperture! It can technically do what it promises, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for so I moved on.

I would buy it all over again if I had to cause they are fun. If you have a spare 200 bucks, go crazy and buy a set and have some fun with them. I'd rather buy an 80 dollar lensbaby than an 1800 dollar macro.

MRTom

hobbyorobsession said:
I fiddle with my camera from time to time.  I enjoy macro, mainly flowers and some nature photography.  I don't own or understand how to edit my photos
The best photographers don't need photoshop. :)

Nice pictures, Daniel! :DLove the sharky one! :D

Ahhhh photoshop... how I love thee. (I too, need a legal copy. Maybe someday. *shakes fists* someday.)

I remember my first real breakthrough with photoshop, was when I succesfully did a "clone yourself in a photo" . . . I was so excited when I got it, and I've pretty much started learning more and more things on Photoshop. I tend to do more photo manipulation stuff on photoshop. I can't do vectoring at all, and I can't really make anything out of scratch, although I'm slowly learning how to do those as well. It's certainly an interesting hobby.

Going back to LensBaby lenses... I'm curious... So basically the effect is to make the targeted object in focus, while there's a slight radial blur as you progress away from the object.

This an be done in Photoshop (much like the TiltShift effect, if your camera doesn't have that option, OR if you don't own a tiltshift lense).

Here, I demonstrate an "artificial" lensbaby effect, with the help of photoshop. First, I went and found a picture of something that had the lensbaby effect, and then, I try to re-create it, using another stock photo, and manipulate the photo in photoshop (cs6).

(Image shot with a Lensbaby Lense)

Granted, I just learned how to do this within a couple minutes (okay, maybe 20 minutes of screwing around in photoshop, trying to find what effects were what...lol)

And this is what I got:

(Stock Image)

(Edited Stock Image with "Artificial Lensbaby" Effect)

What I'm trying to get at....with how software these days are getting more and more powerful, is it still really necessary to buy such expensive lenses? TiltShift lenses (good ones) are pricey, anywhere from $1000+... I'm pretty sure Lensbaby lenses cost a pretty penny as well. I'm sure to the untrained eye (such as myself)... you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a photo that has been manipulated through photoshop, or one that uses the necessary lens. Or...is there?

Thoughts? Opinions? Cheese?

The only advantage of having the actual lens, in my opinion, is if you were doing cinematography... as editing video with these type of effects (tiltshift, lensbaby, bokeh, etc)... can be super difficult. And by having the physical lens, you basically just shoot and record video, and the outcome will already have the desired effect. *shrug*

But yes, I am by far NOT a good photographer, hence my Frustrated Photographer title I call myself. LOL... =P

MRTom

The lensbaby lenses are popular for their ridiculously low prices. I scored this guy for 80 bucks at the kenmore camera expo last year.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580401-REG/Lensbaby_LBCC_Composer_Special_Effects_SLR.html

What you get here is a little lens that you can adjust in real time. Gives you a different degree of flexibility that coupled with photoshop allows you to do some very special things. IMO, the optical radial blur is far superior to the photoshop blur, because lights also show bokeh effects you just can't do in photoshop. They are also the cheapest way of getting a macro lens.... by a factor of 10. Here are two examples from the web:

What you don't get is something easy to use. If DSLR with its manual settings gives you a headache and makes you want to run for the automatic modes, then lensbaby, for you is not.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!! That looks awesome, MRTom! :D

I'd probably would like to own a lensbaby lens at somepoint in the future. Maybe not now, but someday. Hahaha

MRTom

Easier to save 200 for a kit than whatever photoshop wants :) I took some awesome pics last year of Christmas lights, where I carved a little skull and crossbones aperture disk, and every light was a little skull and crossbones ghost... but now I can't find it  :evil: 

MRTom

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/GVXCr6upWUo" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]
 :beer: :drunk: :woot: :swear: